PDA

View Full Version : Big Red by moonlight

Mike Poole
05-15-2017, 10:02 AM

Not sure if this works or not but in the interests of trying something different, here goes

Pre-dawn at North Beach and there was a decent near full moon and a couple of birds along the shoreline so I gave this a go. The Reddish Egret was the most distinctive bird around so I thought using him would possibly work. There is a little more detail I could bring out in the Egret if required.

Canon 1dx
100-400mm ii @ 135mm
ISO 3200
1/1600th f6.3

Mike

Arthur Morris
05-15-2017, 10:14 AM
Nice, but you needed to move 10 feet to your left. Why?

with love, artie

Geoffrey Montagu
05-15-2017, 11:55 AM
Excellent Pre-dawn capture, Mike. Though you mentioned you could bring out more detail, I like him as you've posted. Love the pink in sky and reflected in water. This might be a good candidate for focus stacking to sharpen the BG water and moon. Still like it as posted.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Stu Bowie
05-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Hi Mike, this works for me, and an opportunity well taken. Love the soft light and pastel colours. On a personal note, with these type of 'scenes' I tend to create more of a silhouette, even though you may lose the colours on the bill. I may also create more of a vertical by taking a bit off the RHS.

Stu Bowie
05-15-2017, 02:47 PM
Nice, but you needed to move 10 feet to your left. Why?

By moving to your left, you would achieve more separation between the moon and the Egret.

William Dickson
05-15-2017, 04:38 PM
Well captured Mike. I would like to see more detail on the bird, if you had it, but I really like as is, be good to compare. Love the colours from top to bottom.

Very nice

Will

John Mack
05-15-2017, 05:12 PM
This is nice, really like the composition here.

Arthur Morris
05-16-2017, 06:41 AM
By moving to your left, you would achieve more separation between the moon and the Egret.

Yes, Stu. The trick here would be a vertical with the bird in the lower right corner and the moon in the upper left. In the posted version all the weight is in the center ...

with love, artie

Mike Poole
05-16-2017, 12:02 PM
Yes, Stu. The trick here would be a vertical with the bird in the lower right corner and the moon in the upper left. In the posted version all the weight is in the center ...

with love, artie

Thanks for that Artie - sorry I didn't have chance to reply before Stu hit the nail on the head.

Good advice for next time

Mike