PDA

View Full Version : Wild Showy Lady's Slipper

Harold Stiver
06-18-2008, 08:30 PM
I've been wanting to try my hand at flower photography and finding this large clump of Showy Lady's Slipper seemed like a good first subject. It has been raining a lot here and everything is lush.I was able to take a few shots in between showers. This is a very large orchid and I had problems finding a suitable composition. Looking through the great images in this forum shows me I have a long way to go, but I'm sure it will be fun.

Canon 5d, 24-70mm@55, f/10, 1/40sec, ISO100

Robert O'Toole
06-18-2008, 09:19 PM
Great job on picking a good subject and photographing it in flattering light. The post processing is a little too contrasty and saturated i think but thats just a personal pref.
I would crop some of the area from the left to place the subject on the left side facing the right side. As it is cropped now the flower is facing out of the frame.

Robert

Harold Stiver
06-19-2008, 07:01 AM
Thanks Robert. Those are all very helpful points.I think in particular your comment on the contrast is excellent, I had felt the whole image needed softening.

Roman Kurywczak
06-19-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi Harold,
I think by impementing some of Robert's corrections that would address my concern of the flowers on the LH side. The only solution for the one in the UR (besides removing in PP) is to use a clothespin or plamp in the field to gently move it out of the BG. These are the things to look for in macro photography.............many distracting BG elements need to be composed around. With practice.......this does become a little easier. Still........very showy bloom.

Bruce Murden
06-19-2008, 09:57 PM
A beautiful specimen! Your subject is captured well, but I agree with Robert particularly about the cropping. In addition to keeping the flower looking into the frame, the two flowers in the background on the left are so bright they pull the eye away from the subject flower. The bloom to the upper right, though, is darker and doesn't have that negative pull. Overall, good work!

Harold Stiver
06-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks Roman and Bruce, those are very helpful ideas.