PDA

View Full Version : A Pair of ...

Jay Ing
05-12-2017, 12:32 AM
Forgot what kind of birds these are - but - there were two of them :)

Settings: XT-2, 100-400 f4, 1/500s, f14 (oops), 360mm, @ ISO 250, HH, CS6 and Neat Image edits

Arthur Morris
05-12-2017, 06:55 AM
The birds are American Avocets in non-breeding plumage. Where were they photographed?

The image is sharp and the basic image design is fine. The two main problems are that the light is from the left rather than from over the top of your head. Thus, the image is very contrasty and the WHITEs on the bird on our left have very little detail. Lastly but just as importantly the head of the front bird is turned away from us.

with love, artie

Jay Ing
05-12-2017, 11:11 AM
Hi Artie,

This shot was taken at the Martin Luther Regional Park just north of the Oakland, CA airport about a year ago. I was there fairly early in the morning and where this water/mud flats were the light may never be ideal (right behind me). (And, I'd not yet listen to someone... maybe Artie :)... talk about getting the light behind you when possible so there's that)... It's actually a very good place with nice variety. The Egret you commented on in my last post was also from there. Anyhow, I like the East/West facings of the birds and their reflections in the water. As you say, light was less than idea, f14 was unnecessary and now - my gear would help me with additional sharpness I think. But, I like it...until... I get something better... Thanks for the comments. Hope you meet you in FL someday. My parents live in Avon Park so when I next go see them I may not be too far from you. Happy Shooting and stay healthy legendary one. J

Arthur Morris
05-15-2017, 09:56 AM
:) Legendary at least in my own mind :) Not! Yes, Avon Park is close. Thanks for the info. If you never can get on sun angle there are always cloudy days; great for high key. Be sure to work close to +3 off the metered exposure.

with love, artie