PDA

View Full Version : Osprey blast off

Mike Poole
05-09-2017, 11:44 AM

One form a trip to Lake Blue Cypress a few weeks ago. A great experience, not just for the Ospreys either. Just before dawn, I had a wild Barred Owl within 10 feet of me and perfectly happy, but it would have taken a blast of flash for a shot, so I just enjoyed the experience instead. Wonderful!

Anyway, I went out with one of the guides from Middletons fish camp (ask for Alan if anybody wants to go - he doesn't know much photographically but is a great outdoors man who knows the subjects very well) and the 2 hour trip was worth every penny.

This was probably my favourite from the trip, albeit I had plenty of keepers, but I have really struggled with the crop - I could go looser, vertical, have more greenery, clone the greenery out. Any ideas?

Techs wise, Canon 1dx
500mm f4is (should have added the 1.4x)
ISO 1600
1/5000th f5.6

Mike

Arthur Morris
05-09-2017, 12:44 PM
No need for the 1.4X TC for this one. Lovely almost perfect raised wing pose. (The near wing could have been raised a bit more.) Try a 70 pixel Gaussian blur on the greenery and reduce the opacity to taste ...

with love, artie

keith mitchell
05-09-2017, 03:26 PM
Mike Sharks one day and a cracking Osprey the next,you have some lovely detail in the whites and a good upright wing pose,all very nicely done.

Keith.

John Mack
05-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Nice raised wing on the bird, good head angle as well. I would probably remove the green in the bottom right corner.

gail bisson
05-10-2017, 06:17 AM
Perfect HA and I like the perch with the visible fish.
I would clone out the greenery if mine. It pulls the eye away from the osprey.
I think your comp is good.
Very nice,
Gail