PDA

View Full Version : Theme Lesser Scaup Portrait.

Daniel Cadieux
05-05-2017, 04:43 AM
I've been wanting this image for a while now - a Lesser Scaup tight vertical portrait in early morning light. I've got lots of nice looser portraits and neat swimming head-on images over the last few years but this is what I was after. We only see them in their breeding plumage for a few weeks in spring before they move on further on migration, and with the limited time I have for photography the window of opportunity is small. All came together this past weekend though!

Canon 7DII + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/1600s., f/7.1, ISO 800, natural light, handheld while prone on the ground at the edge of a pond, small rotation then cropped the corners - otherwise FF. Audio used.

Michael Thompson
05-05-2017, 06:22 AM
Nice job getting so close to this often skittish bird! I like the subtle colors and feather detail.

Alex Becker
05-05-2017, 10:40 AM
Great job getting so close here. I like the detail and nice pinks against the light blue sky. Eye looks great as does the catchlight. Congrats on getting a shot you've been thinking about for a while -- always a good feeling. TFS

Juan Tolentino
05-05-2017, 10:09 PM
Excellent portrait Daniel, I love the expression, super sharp eye, BG and DOF used to have the whole face in focus. Excellent image. TFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gabriela Plesea
05-06-2017, 12:33 PM
This is superb, Daniel.

Beautifully exposed, perfect DoF, love the HA and expression from the subject. Cannot take my eyes of those purple iridescent feathers:)

Superb PP work as always, thank you so much for sharing!

Kind regards,

gail bisson
05-06-2017, 06:14 PM
I love your comp and the perky neck and head position!
Great IQ as always with beautiful details in the feathers,
Gail