PDA

View Full Version : Picnic on the Beach...

Nicki Gwynn Jones
06-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi All,
This was taken on Sanibel Island in March, 5pm, partly sunny. I chose to leave the birds coming and going from the frame as I felt that it added a sense of movement to the picture.
400D 100-400 IS
AV F8 1/500 sec
200 ISO
Many thanks as always!
Nicki

Alfred Forns
06-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Hi Nicki these guys are always a treat at the beach Love to see them feeding in groups!!

A couple of things to try here .... first of all try no to cut any birds, front and rear need to go. Second try having more room in front than behind the birds, sort of gives them room to move into. Also try to avoid having he birds going away from you or looking away from you.

The wave behind the birds can help of hurt. I find it difficult to judge in camera and tend to do many images for choosing. Multiple birds are difficult since you actually have to account for all of them, merges, hidden heads, wrong head angles etc.

Desmond Chan
06-18-2008, 08:17 PM
I chose to leave the birds coming and going from the frame as I felt that it added a sense of movement to the picture

Well, I don't feel a sense of movement there. Sorry :p

I think if it were a bigger group of birds at a distance, then perhaps I wouldn't find the cut-off birds that awkward.

Katie Rupp
06-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Great exposure and sense of scene. I have been tempted to do this at times as well and it doesn't look off to me, but then, I'm still "eager to learn."

SeanKP
06-19-2008, 09:10 AM
Nice shot Nicki. I like the wave but am with Alfred on the cut-off birds.
Cheers.
Sean

Oscar Zangroniz
06-19-2008, 12:02 PM
Wonderful image Nicki. Love the wave action against the birds. Yeah Maybe a crop would be in order, but anyhow great capture.
Regards,