PDA

View Full Version : Question about composition

Rosl Roessner
01-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Hello to you,
I have the opportunity to make pictures of the great and middle spotted woodpeckers, as they come regularly to my feeding station.
But somehow I am unsure about the well balanced composition in the vertical frames.
I show one example here. This is nearly not cropped.
The green wood in the LL corner is easily to remove (in the field and in the picture) but I feel a better balance in the picture with the small green perch than without it).It seems to me that the bird gets more "stability" with the wood behind or beneath it. Do you feel the same? I tried different angles, with more or less of the big trunk or with different placings of the bird (up or down).
Now I want to ask you for good advice: how would you place the bird and the trunk in the picture? The only thing I can't change is the angle of the sun, as I make the images through my window and there are very limited light possibilities.
Comments much appreciated!

Thank you - and again sorry, if my english isn't that good,
Rose

Axel Hildebrandt
01-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Personally, I would clone out the OOF part in the LL and put the woodpecker a little bit higher in the frame. To expose it properly you really need the sun to be behind you. Maybe you can install a blind or photograph earlier/later. The BG looks great.

Judd Patterson
01-08-2008, 07:13 PM
Such a beautiful bird Rose! I think the next level for this photograph is to really improve on the lighting...and specifically to reduce the shadows. I realize that you said you are limited to just a few light angles, but is there any way that you can follows Axel's advice and setup a blind outside with a better angle? It may not be as comfortable as photographing from your window, but the resulting images could be quite stunning! As far as your composition, I agree that the bird could be a bit higher in the frame. I think that if the feet and tail were well lit by sunlight (or fill flash) you'd also feel that the bird was more stable in the frame. You sure have a fine starting point with this image and cooperative woodpeckers nearby!

Daniel Cadieux
01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Good suggestions so far. I would also add that because you can see the whole bird here, you could reduce the space at left by half and apply that at right (more tree) - then you wouldn't need that green distracting patch as stability...

BTW that's a great looking bird you got here!

Mike Milicia
01-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Great advice so far regarding light angle and comp and agree that the green is distracting.

Here is some quick and dirty PS work to illustrate my idea regarding a possible
composition :

Rosl Roessner
01-09-2008, 02:22 AM
Thank you for taking the time to work at my picture.
I add another picture, where I think, I followed your ideas? Sometimes I think, the green branch adds. But that's why I ask here, the get your oppinion.
Do you like the second picture more (I did no sharpening until now, I think just about the position of the bird)? Is that bird to centered?

It's a pitty, but I really can't do much about the light position. I have kind of terrace that the birds visit, but it is like a balcony three meters high. No chance to get pleasing pictures from outside.

But I am sure there will be one moment, where The light adds a pleasing effect ;-)))
In addition I have some pictures without direct sun. Do you think, that would look better? But I like the glance in the eye....

Rosl Roessner
01-09-2008, 05:03 AM
Here is what I mean without direct sun.
This is the middle spotted woodpecker.
Hope you don't mind me posting several images in that Thread.
I hope to learn about the right light and positioning with posting those different images. This is a kind of before / after effect.
Thank you for teaching me!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-09-2008, 07:03 AM
I liked the composition in your original better than in the repost (minus greens and higher in the frame). On overcast days you could use fill flash to get a catch light. Generally, I prefer a bit more BG and little trunk since it is out of focus in most cases anyway.

The second image looks very good. Maybe just a bit NR on the BG, a slight boost in contrast a slight crop off the top and maybe CW rotation so the trunk is straight.

George DeCamp
01-09-2008, 07:55 AM
What a great thread! I love the exchange of ideas here and the sharing examples....fantastic for people to see and learn. Keep this kind of info going, love it!!

Alfred Forns
01-09-2008, 08:02 AM
Agree with George This is what is all about !!!!

Rosl Roessner
01-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi Axel,
ok, I think I followed your advice with that image? I'm just too shy with the contrast, I am afraid of getting any kind of artificial looking images.
In my oppinion there is not enough room at the left side of the bird, but that's why I post the diferent images here, to get your oppinion!

Thanks for sharing knowledge!

Now I can see some disturbing dots and lines in the LL corner; but thats not in my original image; I think its from compressing the picture to much

Axel Hildebrandt
01-09-2008, 09:21 AM
This is almost what I had in mind. :) I agree with you and would add some space on the left. You probably wouldn't get any posterization if you started fresh with the original file.

Jim Poor
01-09-2008, 11:53 AM
I wonder, if since you are limited by a balcony of sorts, if the lighting could be improved by using a reflector or multiple reflectors to help.

Jacqui Hendry
01-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Rose

I Just wanted to say how much I like your lesser spotted photograph especially how you can see his tongue,

I have had one visit my garden a few times now, but so far I have been unable to get a good an image as yours :-)

Jacqui

PS I have been following this thread with interest and hope to be able to put the advice given to good use one day ;-)