PDA

View Full Version : Piping Plover eating

Isaac Grant
04-24-2017, 10:31 AM
This Piping Plover was photographed a few weeks ago at Breezy Point in Queens, New York. For those that don't know this is along the barrier beach in New York City and is a fantastic spot for breeding birds and huge migrations as well. To get there you have to walk about a mile in the sand from a parking lot at the end of a paved road out to the beach. Then you have to wander the beach until you find these little guys. I have always found that the most effective way to photograph them is to see where they are feeding and then to lay down and wait. Eventually they will almost walk up to you as long as you stay still and quiet. Got this guy as he was greedily feeding on these sand fleas or whatever they are. Someone know? Taken in my favorite late evening light.

Canon 1dx and Canon 500 f4 ii + 1.4x iii. Tripod mounted while lying in the wet sand.

Processed in DPP 4.6 and PS.

annmpacheco
04-24-2017, 11:28 AM
Nice work Isaac... glad the feet are frozen and you have good dof. The food item is wonderful, love the antennae and the piping plovers tongue, you are so right, patience, all good things come your way.

arash_hazeghi
04-25-2017, 01:01 AM
Love the light and the super low angle Issac, well done

John Mack
04-25-2017, 07:25 AM
Very nice light and love the low angle the small bug is a nice touch.

William Dickson
04-25-2017, 01:52 PM
Very nice looking frame Isaac. Great POV, and I love the detail you captured on the bird. Great pose with the raised foot, and watching him eat takes it up a notch.

Will

Glenn Conlan
04-25-2017, 07:41 PM
All been said, great capture Issac, love the BG layers

Stu Bowie
04-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Hi Isaac, excellent low perspective, and yes, you cant beat that light. I like the detail and colours on the Plover, and the food item on the tip of the beak takes this up a few notches. Well timed and captured.