PDA

View Full Version : Birds in July?

Joerg Rockenberger
06-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Hi,

Does anyone have suggestions for good bird photography places in July, preferably in Northern CA? Just wondering as July is generally slow but there is the long July 4th weekend and I am considering renting the 500F4IS. Hence, it would be preferable that any recommendations are also easy to reach and don't involve a lot of hiking.

Big Thanks, JR

Joerg Rockenberger
06-27-2008, 12:07 PM
Hmm, I guess no answer means no birds in July in CA? :)

Well, I just saw a post at Sialia.com suggesting that in a week or so shorebird migration is already under way. Is that true? If yes, where do they tend to show up first?

Sorry I am still learning about birding. Thanks, JR

Dan Brown
06-27-2008, 05:10 PM
John, visit Bodega Bay if you can. Not only will it be much cooler there than inland, the area is almost always good birding. I lead Sacramento Audubon Society field trips over to Bodega many times a year and if the post regarding the shorebird migration is accurate (I know the poster by the way and he is knowledgable!) then you should have opportunities. High tide is probably best, as this forces the birds in to the shoreline. Good luck, Dan Brown

Charlie VanTassel
06-28-2008, 11:43 PM
I usually check here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OrangeCountyBirding/?yguid=266946393

Joerg Rockenberger
06-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Dan & Charlie,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Yes, I am keeping an eye on Sialia.com which aggregates various CA bird listings. Now if they just would predict what will be happening in a week... :)

Dan, thanks for the tip re Bodega Bay. I've never spent much time up there and will consider it.

JR