PDA

View Full Version : Warning !

Andreas Liedmann
04-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Hi folks just sharing this image of a grey seal , who warned another seal to come closer just by opening her mouth .
I was somehow trapped between the two ...but got away without getting harmed or ran over .Sometimes tricky situations occur during mating season as all animals are full of adrenaline .

Canon EOS 1Dx II
EF 500 IS L
HH lying flat on the ground

F 6,3 ; Iso 12800 ; 1/1600 sec

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS CC 2017 ; cropped for comp from all sides

Thanks for watching and commenting to my previous posting

Cheers Andreas

Mitch Carucci
04-19-2017, 03:18 PM
Great low angle, and the seals expression. Where was this?
Thanks for posting.

haseeb badar
04-20-2017, 04:13 AM
Hi Andreas -- I have never seen something like this before ! That is a dangerous expression and glad that you were safe from all the action. Loved the low POV and the IQ inspite of the high iso, atleast at this size .

Most of your images from this series have been on the very high side of iso, was the lighting situation always dark ?

TFS !

Mike Poole
04-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Another one with that great Helgoland low POV, it really does make all the difference to get that angle. Perfect timing on the open mouth warning, glad you didn't get caught out in between them - they really can shift when they want to.

Excellent processing again, that camera really can produce the goods when used right.

Mike

keith mitchell
04-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Andreas i love the way you get down low to photograph these animals,nearly able to check it's tonsils ,great piece of work.

Keith.

Gabriela Plesea
04-20-2017, 01:12 PM
Another winner in my books Andreas, this just works.

Nice techs, the POV and threatening pose make this image for me. DoF just right.

So nice to have a clean environment around your subject. I had the loveliest sighting last Monday, was only meters away from a few adorable young lions but never touched my gear because of all the grass surrounding them. They were under a big tree in the shade while myself and my companion were baking in the sun! But I enjoyed being near them so much. I gather you had some experience, trapped between those huge seals...
Worth the effort Boetie. Well processed and I like this as presented, what a pleasure to view:cheers:

Kind regards,

Rachel Hollander
04-20-2017, 08:04 PM
Hi Andreas - This is very nice. Love the open mouth even if it was a threatening one. Glad he wasn't directing it at you! The low pov as always takes this up a notch. I would be tempted to take a little off the bottom.

TFS,
Rachel

David Glatz
04-20-2017, 08:26 PM
Awesome image. The perspective and her expression are very intense. Really conveys anger/emotion.

Steve Kaluski
04-21-2017, 04:50 AM
Hi Andreas, great perspective and I really like the open mouth and splash of colour. Might try to get out if funds allow for a few days, although at present London is eating up resources/funds on the refurbishment side like you would not believe.

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
04-21-2017, 01:41 PM
Hi all thanks a big bunch for all your kind comments , much appreciated . :5

Mitch - image was taken on Helgoland Island in the North Sea

Haseeb - yes the whole week was dark and even darker :bg3: , light always at its premium , sadly. Some days it got dark at 3 pm , i had to stop shooting as even 25 k was not enough to keep the SS at reasonable speed .

Gabriela - good to hear that you had an encounter with your favorite subjects .... any good shots ?

Rachel - i am actually fine with the crop

Steve - Helgoland does not cost a fortune :wave:, so kick yourself and move over in Dec

Cheers Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
04-23-2017, 02:12 PM
Dear Andreas,

In reply to your question, no shots at all on that occasion. But I remained full of enthusiasm and really enjoyed looking and worshipping, for a change. In the past I have been so focused on getting the image that I only experienced things tentatively or hurriedly. I found this very refreshing: encountering beauty and trying to possess it without pressing the shutter, not worrying about light conditions, perspective or framing...I tried to grasp things by memory:w3