PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Memorial

Roman Kurywczak
06-18-2008, 09:23 AM
I always wanted to get a night shot of some of our memorials in Washington DC. I had the opportunity last year for a 1 night stay as I was dropping my son off at a conference. I was approached by Park Police at the WWll memorial to remove my tripod. I did immediately so as not to get arrested. I was told to remove it in the rotunda.....but I could shoot from the hall and over all the tourist heads. The difficulty in this shot is the saying behind Lincoln's head. No matter how I tried..........I could't get it and lincoln exposed properly. I suppose HDR would have worked.........may try it next time........so I sttuck 2 fingers in front of the lens covering Lincoln for approximately half of the 20 second exposure and then removed them. This is the result of that experiment. Digital Rebel at ISO 100 and f22 for 20 seconds mounted on tripod/studioball head.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Alfred Forns
06-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Talk about being resourceful !!!!! Particularly like the feel of this one Roman Well worth your efforts !!!

Robert Amoruso
06-19-2008, 12:16 PM
Very cool looking. Dodging in camera - that's great technique.

Have they gotten that picky about using tripods there - what a pain.

Rich Ikerd
06-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Exceptional image Roman and way to be creative when tackling a tough exposure situation.

Pat Nighswander
06-22-2008, 09:42 PM
Excellent on the spot thinking for the exposure..great end result.

Judd Patterson
06-24-2008, 06:40 PM
What a creative solution! Very nice image, Roman. I hope to be in D.C. this September and hope that they aren't too restrictive in terms of tripods.

Tim Rucci
06-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Nice work, Roman and a great idea covering the lower part of the frame for part of the exposure.

Christopher Hill
06-25-2008, 08:34 PM
FYI: I was shooting at the Jefferson memorial last year at dusk/night. When I went to enter the memorial itself, a park official came up to me and told me I couldn't use a tripod there. He thought it was because the feet could mar the marble. I (very politely) showed him the rubber feet and asked if that would make a difference. He was very nice and said he would ask a supervisor. Even better - he asked me to accompany him, which I did. The supervisor, on hearing the situation, sighed and let the official and me know that this was a very common misunderstanding among the park police/rangers/officials. There is no restriction on using tripods in any of the memorials or monuments in Washington DC. He told me that I was free to take as many photos as I wanted with (or without) a tripod. We all parted on good terms and I was careful to not get in people's way or to make a nuisance of myself in any way.