PDA

View Full Version : Ruddy Turnstone

Isaac Grant
04-10-2017, 03:23 PM
From my Florida trip in February. Photographed at Sebastian Inlet State Park in the early morning.

Canon 1DX and Canon 100-400 ii. 371mm, F8, ISO 640, SS 1/3200

Processed with DPP 4.6 and PS.

William Dickson
04-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Very nice pose and lovely feather detail. The front of the perch looks real good. I think the bird and BG would look better with less contrast/saturation.

Will

Isaac Grant
04-10-2017, 05:58 PM
I didn't really add any saturation to background. It's that vibrant blue Florida water. Bird got a little saturation and contrast but just because I purposely underwxposed a bit to make sure whites where not over blown. This is basically what it looked like in warm Florida sun.

Joseph Przybyla
04-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Hi Isaac, good detail and color on the bird. Regarding the background, I know of what your write. Sometimes the bright light and a clear blue sky can make the water really blue, sometimes I reduce the saturation. It depends on what looks best. The out of focus rock is unfortunate that it blocks the view of the feet. Thank you for sharing.

Isaac Grant
04-10-2017, 08:03 PM
Here is a version where I lowered the saturation of the bird and the background. Thoughts?

annmpacheco
04-10-2017, 09:55 PM
Hi isaac, I prefer the OP, sometimes the contrast really is the way it was at the time, what time of day? your whites look really good and detailed, i like it!

arash_hazeghi
04-11-2017, 01:26 AM
Pretty nice Isaac, love the light and colors. These birds are really vibrant under nice warm light. My only wish is if we could see the feet a bit more

TFS

David Salem
04-11-2017, 01:56 AM
The original post looks great to me. The colors do not look unrealistic and I like the pose and the Rock he is standing on.
The sun angle and details look great also and I think we can see enough of the feet just fine. Well done Isaac

Isaac Grant
04-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I think the original is most realistic but am fine with either. No harm in toning back a bit at times. I have other shots of this bird on other spots on the rock but when it stopped it always seemed to stop with the feet lined up where the back foot was hidden. The pose and background was best on this shot and the front foot was visible so I was OK with it. This one never gave a stance where both feet showed well, was high on the rock and posing at the same time. Now I have a reason to go back and try again.

I do think this brings up 2 things that I see often in pictures and comments:
1- Finding the right balance with early morning/late evening light and the pics not being too over saturated
2- UK photographers seem to always tend towards a bit flatter and less vibrant processing while US photographers tend the other way.

stuart wanuck
04-12-2017, 09:14 AM
like second rendition