PDA

View Full Version : Theme Pied-billed Grebe

Bill Dix
04-07-2017, 08:01 AM
I've always found this species to be elusive, diving and not re-surfacing until they are too far away to photograph. But this little guy, at Circle B Bar Reserve, was happy to swim around at close range.

D500, 500f4 + 1.4 TC, ISO 1000, 1/800s @ f/6.3 manual. Slight crop from left and top.

Isaac Grant
04-07-2017, 09:35 AM
Around where we live Bill if you even think of approaching one of these guys they swim away. Oh but Florida is so different. I like this shot very much. Nice details on the bird and nice reflection. What is the yellow reflection on the right of the bird? Don't see anything above that that is reflecting? If mine I would probably remove that as the bright color pulls the eye from that sweet shot of this elusive bird.

John Whaley
04-07-2017, 02:04 PM
A pleasing image Bill. Like the calm, the reflection and the bright clear eye.

Bill Dix
04-09-2017, 04:21 PM
Thanks Isaac and John. Yeah, you've got to love those friendly Florida birds. Isaac, I also wondered about that yellow reflection. It's curious that you can't see the source, but I think it is from a yellow flower in the marsh vegetation, above the top of the frame. It is a distraction, and I might remove it.

Daniel Grossi
04-14-2017, 03:40 PM
I love Grebes Bill - awesome shot. Quite a game they play diving and showing up in another time zone. Good job getting a close shot! I shot one yesterday catching a fish, but unfortunately he was terribly far.

Bill Dix
04-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Thanks Daniel.