View Full Version : Little Grebe

William Dickson
04-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/6.3
1/1000
ISO 1000

These guys are building a nest about 10 feet from my hide at the loch. They swim back and forth in front of the hide, but my window for seeing them is limited as they swim close and amongst dead wood in the loch. POV is also a problem unless they swim further away from me. I managed to capture this one as it paused for a couple of seconds, they swim very fast, and often dive. Looking back, I should have upped my ISO and maybe went for f/7.1 or f/8 with a faster SS. I never applied any sharpening to the feathers, as I thought, with them being wet, they looked sharp enough.

Will

Krishna Prasad kotti
04-05-2017, 11:29 PM
Beautiful Image. Amazing feather details on the bird.

Its very difficult to get a decent image of Grebes in Utah. They are so skittish

Thanks for sharing

Jonathan Ashton
04-06-2017, 05:29 AM
Looks good to me Will, I like the narrow DOF, its the first really detailed look I have had at a little grebe despite getting a few images myself. I hadn't really notice the gape before.

Joseph Przybyla
04-06-2017, 06:06 AM
Love the closeup... F/8 may have given the depth of field for the lower neck, hard to tell. Beautiful bird, nice to see the details. Thank you for sharing, Will.