PDA

View Full Version : Damsel II

David Chauvin
06-18-2008, 03:53 AM
Another view of the damsel in dew covered grass. I wish it had hung around a bit longer to get a few frames at different apertures. :(

30D, Sigma 180, 1.4x, 1/15 sec, f16, iso 100, tripod, remote release, MLU, full frame

David
South Louisiana

John Cooper
06-18-2008, 04:42 AM
Yes David, having the perch and damsel all on the same plane would allow a wider aperature - always next time!!

Alfred Forns
06-18-2008, 07:17 AM
Hi David I do like the set up for this Damsel IMO the highlights on the bg add to the image and all has a great feel !!!!

Roman Kurywczak
06-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi David,
Maybe a bit of a different angle of the damsel for my tastes but while I nornally don't like highlights in the BG...........I do agree with Alfred that they add something to the overall presentation. Poppint the damsel with a bit of fill may have kept the BG the same but made the damsel pop a bit more. I say keep this BG! Unusual and very well done!

Robert O'Toole
06-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey David,

Very nice. The small droplet on the end of the perch is a nice detail.

You can see that your lens has a 9 bladed Iris!

I would like to see the base of the perch placed in the corner but the image is nice as presented.

Robert

David Chauvin
06-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Robert,,,,you hit on my point of wishing for frames with a larger aperture. Being stopped down gave the hard edges on the OOF droplets and rounder ones would feel more natural to me. It flew off before I could get any more frames and with this angle of approach, my first concern was getting enough DOF to get the damsel and perch in the plane from tip to tip.

As for the comp, having the base of the perch in the corner would really push the tail of the damsel against the edge of the frame, so I'll have to differ with you on that one. Also, I think the implied line of the damsel's tail adds weight to that area of the frame.

As always, I appreciate the input from everyone and it helps to look at things through fresh eyes.

Best Regards,,,,,,,David