PDA

View Full Version : Estuary post sunrise.

Ian McHenry
06-18-2008, 03:05 AM
I tried not to oversharpen or otherwise overcook this image taken shortly after sunrise.
Details: Pentax K10D with Tamron 70-300 @ 200mm.
200 ISO 1/125 sec @ F4.5. No EV adjustment.
Comments welcome.
Ian McHenry

Roman Kurywczak
06-18-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi Ian,
You have captured a very peaceful scene here overall. This would have been the perfect opportunity to use my favorite (graduated split ND filter) to tone down the sky some and bring out more detail and color in it to further enhance the scene. Still, you did well compositionally seperating the FG layers with breaks of water and the foggy/misty mid layers all the way to the BG mountains is very pleasing. You also did well in placing a prominent evergreen in the ROT placement. An alternative to the filter is taking one correct exposure for the sky and one for the land and them merging them in post processing. I do prefer the filter as it gives me less work when I get home.

Harold Davis
06-18-2008, 02:42 PM
ian, i love the feel of this one myself! nice job.

a question for roman: i have a D300 with the ability to do a multiple exposure in the camera. would that have worked in this case by exposing for the sky and then for the land and merging them in the camera?

Roman Kurywczak
06-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Hi Harold,
I think at home in PS or some other program would be better than in a multiple exposure.
I'll try to get Robert to post an educational forum on how to do a HDR..........since I have only done 1.........with so, so results!

Ian McHenry
06-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks Roman & Harold.
Just added a graduated ND to my shopping list !!!
Cheers: Ian Mc

Robert Amoruso
06-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Ian,

Great composition here. A real pleasure to look at this image - lots of nuances with the color and comp. Roman nails it with the need for 3 stop GND.

I am working on a fall landscape workshop and writing presentations for it now. One is on HDR so I will put something together and post it.

Arthur Morris
06-19-2008, 05:29 PM
All but the sky sections are wonderful. And yes, very peaceful. You might try converting the RAW way dark and briging in the sky from that one... In Breezebrowser, I would do a combined conversion, underexpose by two stops, and hope for the best. In ACR you would use the recover slider...

Ian McHenry
06-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks Robert & Artie.
Appreciate your advice.
Cheers: Ian Mc
http://www.pbase.com/ianmc