PDA

View Full Version : Red Crested Cardinal, Maui HI

Roger Smith
03-14-2017, 02:18 PM
A red crested cardinal from Maui, HI. This was shot handheld on a 7DMII and EF 100-400 f4.5-5.6 MII L IS lens. f/6.3, 1/2000s, ISO 240, 400mm. Late day light, perched on a post adjacent to a golf course. I chose to center on the bird with the offset post out of necessity, there was a very sharp edge / shadow to the left in the image. And just FYI, as many species in HI are, these are an import from South America, particularly Argentina and the Pantanal / southern region of Brazil. Intro to Hawaii was in 1930. Its actually a tanager, not a true cardinal. The composition on this image was not what I would like, but I so enjoyed seeing them while I was there I was glad to get a pretty clean image.

William Dickson
03-14-2017, 02:34 PM
Very nice detail on the bird Roger, and I love the colours. The BG colour shows the bird well. The bird and BG look real good, the perch is not ideal.

Will

arash_hazeghi
03-15-2017, 12:43 AM
everything, light, sharpness and BG are great Roger except for the "ugly" perch. Hope you get him on a better natural perch next time!

TFS

David Salem
03-16-2017, 12:59 AM
I agree, everything looks great except the perch. I chased these guys all around Maui one year. Got a few decent frames but hard to get them on a nice natural perch. Well done