PDA

View Full Version : Theme Common Grackle

Stuart Edwards
03-13-2017, 09:56 PM
It was very cold this past weekend but the birds were very active at the feeder. There were at least 25 grackles on the ground but this is the only one that landed on a perch and it was a little close as I had set up for smaller birds.
When it finally stopped moving the light was just right showing the fantastic colors these birds have.
1dIV 400mm
f7.1 1/1600
iso 800

Bill Dix
03-14-2017, 09:56 AM
This is really lovely, Stuart. It really does show their beautiful iridescence very nicely. I rather like the slightly somber tone to it, which seems fitting for these guys; but I wonder if the shadows can be lifted slightly? As I write this, we have at least 25 Grackles devouring the seed in our feeders. When we tap on the window they fly up into the nearby trees, giving the other species a turn, but they're back within a minute or two.

Roger Smith
03-14-2017, 01:05 PM
lovely image! I love the grackles that populate our local lakes in San Diego. I would second Bill's comment on lifting the shadows a bit further. Great capture and great background.

Isaac Grant
03-14-2017, 01:05 PM
I also really like this. Just one of those shots that due to the somber tone of it that works very well. I think trying to lift those shadows would just give the image an artificial look. And that background is so cool. Looks like impending doom. Very different but very well done.

William Dickson
03-14-2017, 03:06 PM
Well done. This looks so good and different. Colours are awesome.

Nice one Stuart

Will

arash_hazeghi
03-15-2017, 12:45 AM
excellent pose and nice details, I like the perch and the BG too. the blacks are blocked ands have no details. I think they can be lifted successfully in post (without overdoing it)

TFS