PDA

View Full Version : Where the ocean & the sky merge ...

Kaushik Balakumar
01-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi,

Minutes before taking this image, the horizon was indistinguishable. It looked as though one could not differentiate where the water ended & the sky began...

Made this image a week back near Netherlands coastline.

Nikon D70s + Nikkor 12-24mm
It was dusk, f4, 1/125, ISO200, @12mm, tripod support.

http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/91413188.jpg

As an experiment, I converted the same image to B&W. If interested, please view it here: http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/91269556

Your opinion as to which one looks better, would be appreciated.

General critiques on the image is welcome too...

Thank you,

rgds,
Kaushik

Bob Malbon
01-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Kaushik, I like the color better due to the reflection in the B&W on the horizon that makes it look tilted - I do not think it is tilted but that reflection sure dose catch my eye. Also the forground is stronger in color for me. Nice capture! Bob

Robert Amoruso
01-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Kaushik,

I am very happy with this image. You have great DOF and nice detail int he FG. Two strong diagonal lines with the rocks and pier.

The thing I find bothersome is the bright/white patch along the top edge. Some cloning could add clouds into it or a curves adjustment if the area can be tamed that way (assuming you have detail in it). I very much like the B&W as well and have the same comment about the bright patch as the color except in the case of the B&W, the bright reflection in the water needs some work.

Overly bright highlights will draw the viewers attention away from the other parts of the image.

Kaushik Balakumar
01-10-2008, 04:50 AM
Thank you Bob & Robert,

@Robert: The white bright area's details have got washed out but I can surely try cloning the area to adjacent ones. Thanks for the valid point & your time :)

Regards,
Kaushik

Jason Hahn
01-10-2008, 10:12 AM
The detail and lines in the foreground rocks really anchor this image, leading your eye off into the distance. The depth of this image is really captivating, it goes on forever thanks to the blurring of where sky meets water. I like the composition a lot, and think that the cloning of the white patch, as suggested, would be a nice touch to finish it off.

Jason

Trish Fahner
01-13-2008, 09:25 PM
I definately prefer the color version. I like nlack and white to have more contrast. The color version has such beautiful soothing softness. Beautiful capture.