PDA

View Full Version : Great Gray in flight

Stuart Edwards
02-21-2017, 09:24 PM
This was shot about 20 min before sunset . I like how the low angle of the sun lights under the wings.
Hand held , uncropped and I actually added a little canvas up top and on the right cause the wing tips were almost touching the edge.
Neat image noise reduction on the background and just a touch of sharpening on the bird.
1DIV 400mm , f6.3 , 1/2000 , iso 800

John Whaley
02-21-2017, 09:57 PM
Wow. Awesome shot. Wonderful light and IQ. If it were mine I would add another 1/2" to the top and left.

Geoffrey Montagu
02-21-2017, 10:54 PM
Top flight, pun intended. Stuart, the image quality is brilliant. From the perfect exposure, to the fine feather detail, extended feet, BG, and that eye. I might consider a bit more space top and sides.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

David Seymour
02-22-2017, 04:40 AM
An excellent action shot Stuart, with plenty of detail and good depth of focus on the bird. I actually prefer this type of shot, where the bird appears to be going about its normal business oblivious to the photographer, to the 'perched and staring at the camera' owl image where the bird seems to be wondering what the strange two-legged creature with the big white tube is up to! If it was mine I might have had a go at selecting and blurring the background to smooth out the BG pattern a bit.

Cheers, David

PS I remember an anecdote years ago from the late wilderness landscape and wildlife photographer Galen Rowell, that there was a time in Denali National Park when if a wild animal turned and looked at you while you were photographing it, you risked being deemed to have altered its behaviour and being issued with a fine!

Bill Dix
02-22-2017, 08:37 AM
Stunning capture! Great wing spread, wonderful light including the underwings as you noted; tack sharp on the facial disc. I'm amazed and impressed that you caught this full-frame without clipping a wing. I agree that a bit more space left and top wouldn't hurt it. Congratulations!

Michael Thompson
02-22-2017, 09:56 AM
killer flight shot with nice sunlight! I have been trying for years to get a GG in the sun, but they only come out on nasty days for me. Nice sharpness throughout, nice background, ditto on a bit more space

keith mitchell
02-22-2017, 10:37 AM
Excellent work Stuart,it gets better and better.

Keith.

Raybel Robles
02-22-2017, 10:43 AM
Wonderful, excellent image for sure!

William Dickson
02-22-2017, 02:40 PM
Very nice indeed. Love the detail on the underwings and tail.

Well done Stuart

Will

Stuart Edwards
02-22-2017, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys. I added a little more room top and left as suggested. That content aware crop tool in photoshop is fantastic !

Frank Schauf
02-23-2017, 11:06 AM
Great flight image with nice details.

David Salem
02-25-2017, 08:17 AM
Fantastic flight frame with awesome details! The light angle was perfect and has covered the subject completely. The repost is perfect and ready for print:w3

Marina Scarr
03-17-2017, 01:18 PM
That repost is a KILLER