PDA

View Full Version : Into the white

Basil Dardagan
02-14-2017, 11:44 PM
Getting an image of a 'white elephant' was high on my bucket list during a recent trip to Etosha. I was very lucky when this gentleman walked directly towards me on an elevated bit of land helping to create an angle that worked

Canon 1D4
200-400 F4
F/4
1/8000
Iso 400

Loi Nguyen
02-15-2017, 03:31 AM
Basil, Congrats on your first white elephant. not sure at what focal length this shot was taken, but I think you could have benefited from more DOF. Loi

Steve Kaluski
02-15-2017, 04:43 AM
Hi Basil, I really like the simplicity of the capture here and the perspective, for me it's just the right angle and the curled tip of the truck and pointing slightly towards you is a lovely touch.

Looking at the techs, I think you could have afforded more DoF as you had plenty of SS without any need to change the ISO, but as presented, f/4 does look good. I'm not so engaged with the central placement, unless you shot this portrait, placing him left I feel works better with more 'negative' space to the right and it almost falls into the Golden Rule of Thirds then too, if you so wish.

The Histogram looks good, but I feel the image looks a bit 'drab' in colour, slightly flat, but an easy fix. Personally I would go cooler on the WB, bring up the Exposure a fraction & the Whites, then balance out the Blue & Yellow.

This has the makings of a fine image, lets see more Basil!!!

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
02-15-2017, 07:14 AM
Hi Basil - This screams Etosha from the thumbnail. Congrats on achieving a goal. I too think you could have dropped the ss slightly and gotten a bit more dof. I also would prefer the ele less centered. Steve's looks a little too cool to me but maybe somewhere in between the two would work best. Overall, a very nice image though.

TFS,
Rachel

haseeb badar
02-16-2017, 06:15 AM
HI Basil -- A cracking frame ! I agree with Rachel Something between your OP and Steve's RP would be a perfect mix . I just loved the low POV and this mighty looking Elephant . You have done a fine job in capturing this frame . loved it .

TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
02-17-2017, 12:01 PM
This rocks Basil! Love the head-on angle, and centre placement works for me.
I agree the colour balance could be cooler (your post is quite "magenta"), as Rachel said, perhaps between yours and Steve's.
I think the heat haze affected critical sharpness just a tad, nothing out of the ordinary for a shot in the daytime in Etosha though. This would make a very nice B&W too...

Basil Dardagan
02-18-2017, 11:59 AM
Thank you everybody for your comments and suggestions. Steve I have followed your advice and must say I feel the image is greatly improved - Thank you very much

Canon 1d4
200-400 f4
F4
1/8000
ISO 400

Rachel Hollander
02-18-2017, 12:25 PM
Hi Basil - This looks much better. Well done taking onboard the suggestions and implementing them. Btw, you could have posted it as rp in the same thread if you prefer.

TFS,
Rachel

Stuart Philpott
02-18-2017, 04:19 PM
Basil,with yours and the mods permission could this be added to your existing post,please? It's difficult to know where exactly to reply, if one can't get here as oft as one would like.

Basil what a gorgeous frame,the thread as so often here really interesting to read. i'm happy with him central adore the pov and the sheer spectacle of a white ele bull,which is new to me personally Basi. It's quite breathtaking mate,I also like the slight head tilt almost like he's musing who you are. Basil first thanks for sharing such a lovely image and second for educating me,this is something I know nothing about ,so must read a bit,

thank you what a spectacle

Stu

Daniel Cadieux
02-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Oh this is beautiful. I'm quite OK with the central placement here. Great habitat too. I agree that having the WB halfway between the two versions would work best.

Steve Kaluski
02-19-2017, 04:47 AM
Firstly Basil, well done in revisiting the image, well worth the RP, as it clearly shows your original capture was a good one. Agree with Rachel that 'as such', itshould have been a RP in the original thread for continuity, but food for thought next time, however we may look at moving if possible.

Cheers
Steve