PDA

View Full Version : Click Beetle

Thomas Barbin
02-14-2017, 07:10 PM
A click beetle (Prosternon sp.) shot on a Canon 7D with a 65mm MP-E 1-5X lens. 1/250 | f/8.0 | ISO 400

The click beetle is resting on a daisy petal, and I believe the purple is from a foxglove flower in the background.

I look forward to any critique and advice you might have!

Thomas

Steve Maxson
02-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Nice sharpness within your DOF. I would wish that the petal wasn't blocking part of the beetle's face. The main plane of focus appears to be on the beetle's head and thorax - yet the middle leg seems to be sharp at the tip where it touches the petal edge whereas the back leg and antenna tip, which are near this same plane of focus are quite soft. This seems odd unless you did some stacking. (?) Just curious.

Thomas Barbin
02-19-2017, 01:19 PM
I wish that the petal could have been bent away from the face too. I guess that I could have shot at a higher angle to show the face more, but I really liked the purple I was getting in the background! This is a single image, I think that it is just deceiving how far the thorax and abdomen are sticking out towards the camera. The legs are on the same plane as the edge of the thorax and abdomen. The beetle is also angled just slightly so that I could keep the eye somewhat in focus.

Thomas

Steve Maxson
02-19-2017, 05:10 PM
OK, Thomas. Thanks for the follow-up. :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
02-24-2017, 01:15 PM
Thomas nicely exposed, and good detail where in focus. I have never used one of these lenses so I am probably shooting myself in the foot if I say you could ideally have been a little further away from the subject?
I guess the beetle is tying to remain obscure by placing itself in this location, but I think the main issue is depth of field.

Thomas Barbin
02-24-2017, 06:30 PM
With this lens the focusing distance is set and depends on what magnification you're shooting at. I have just bought a 100mm macro lens though, so I'm looking forward to playing with it!

Jonathan Ashton
02-25-2017, 02:49 AM
Thomas I am sure you will get hours and hours of fun with the new lens.