PDA

View Full Version : Long Eared Owl

Paul Kammen
02-12-2017, 10:32 PM
Looking for a little feedback on this guy. Shot it with 100-400II at 135, 1/250 sec, flash, ISO 400. Taken near Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Thanks!
Paul

Bill Dix
02-13-2017, 09:27 AM
Something odd about the three images posted -- maybe a mod could fix it. Around here these are very secretive birds, that I've only gotten the briefest glimpses of. Under the circumstances you have done a handsome job catching this one, with a full head-on stare. Head is nice and sharp. I wish the one twig didn't go through his ear, which I guess you could fix if you were so inclined. I wonder if the bird could be just a tiny bit brighter, although that might hurt the very nice twilight feeling of the image. Wish it were mine.

Paul Kammen
02-14-2017, 12:26 AM
Thanks, Bill. I actually meant to post one image, the largest - I clicked on "preview" but the others must have remain attached as I tried to get the file size right. I appreciate the feedback. Tough subject to photograph as long eared owls like lots of cover so aren't exactly in the open too much, so I had to kind of battle twigs and branches and all kind of things in my face.