Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/640
Av(Aperture Value) 5.6
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation +1/3
ISO Speed 1000
Auto ISO Speed ON
Lens EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
Focal Length 117.0mm

I think this is "nice try but no cigar", I was trying to capture the mist and the bull moose going after the female, the light was a bit tricky and the moose wasn't at the best angle, I am inclined to consign to the bin but I thought it was a little unusual.
I await your critique - it's ok tear me to shreds if you think it is rubbish!

Steve Kaluski
02-11-2017, 04:16 AM
Hi Jon, I like the atmosphere here and the rising mist in the BKG. If you have the image content then I might move the whole crop more to the right just before the 'golden' leaf on the LHS??? Personally I might just ramp up the colour a bit more???

I await your critique - it's ok tear me to shreds if you think it is rubbish!

It's certainly not 'rubbish' as you put it.

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
02-11-2017, 04:18 AM
Jon before I read your comment I thought just some increase in the mist on the pond would add so much to this image,do like the light coming through the trees add lots of mist at the bottom then it's a winner ,looks like a great place to be.

Keith.

Jonathan Ashton
02-12-2017, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback Steve & Keith, here is a different version perhaps a little better, I processed this one with the raw file in ACR as opposed to DPP.
I used the Dehaze filter at -29 to emphasize the misty atmosphere, re-cropped as suggested and added a little Saturation.

Rachel Hollander
02-12-2017, 07:52 AM
Hi Jon - I very much like the early morning atmospheric feel to this. I prefer the rp. Having the bull and cow is a bonus.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
02-12-2017, 08:25 AM
Jon, I will reserve until tomorrow, but... I prefer the crop on the LHS, the bottom I'm 50/50. Personal preference, but I would like more of a 'neutral look' in the stones. With the light I also think you would have far more 'visible' highlights, the light seems very even.

Now a question - would you flip the image, if not why does this work? Jon, you are exempt.

Daniel Cadieux
02-12-2017, 08:30 AM
I love the mood. I can feel the fresh and crisp autumn air! I prefer the left-to-right crop of the repost and its enhanced misty feel, but I like the view of the water at bottom of the OP (but that one has the cow too close to the edge IMO). The light angle worked to add to the atmosphere of the image.

keith mitchell
02-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Jon another vote for the repost

Keith.

Jonathan Spool
02-12-2017, 09:15 PM
Is there any chance you might bring out more detail of the moose?

haseeb badar
02-13-2017, 04:14 AM
Hi Jonathan -- The only drawback for me is the moving away pose of the bull otherwise a fine image because of the mood and the settings that it has . Your RP has taken this image several notches up. Enjoyed viewing this .

TFS !

Jonathan Ashton
02-13-2017, 04:40 AM
Is there any chance you might bring out more detail of the moose?
Jonathan, I doubt if there is much detail to be had because the moose of course is mainly in shadow. I have used luminosity masks to bring out more detail than was initially apparent, I think to try to lift the area any more would result in a messy appearance.

Steve Kaluski
02-13-2017, 11:10 AM
Hi Jon, now back home and so...

In the hi-res there is plenty of detail and well exposed, sadly it's lost partly through PP, but mainly the compression I feel. How far you take it in 'depth' of colour, saturation etc, only you know. I've kept the crop close to the original and original capture.

Cheers
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
02-13-2017, 11:50 AM
Thanks Steve I appreciate your input. The funny thing is my very first version before I made a post looked more along the line of yours. I was torn between trying to get atmosphere and contrast and bringing out more detail in the shadows. Whilst I like your version I think I prefer mine which to me conveys the cold and dull scene with a few highlights. The bull moose in your version is lightened more and as a consequence the highlight rim is less pronounced.
I think I should add however that, if anyone was to look at a downloaded image in Photoshop they would see a more accurate rendition of your image.Thanks again.

Steve Kaluski
02-13-2017, 12:00 PM
The funny thing is my very first version before I made a post looked more along the line of yours.

Great minds???

The bull moose in your version is lightened more

No Jon, just kept him away from the other adjustments. You should have a larger JPEG in your box too.

Finally, as no one has replied to my question on flipping, I will ask it, why did you flip the image Jon? :S3:

Jonathan Ashton
02-13-2017, 12:43 PM
I flipped it because I felt it looked more pleasing to the eye to be traveling from left to right. I also added a little canvas to keep the cow elk from being too close to the edge.
The large jpeg doesn't look too shabby at all Steve - I like it!

Steve Kaluski
02-13-2017, 12:47 PM
The large jpeg doesn't look too shabby at all Steve - I like it!

Indeed :bg3: - perhaps I should have submitted that to RPS???

Jonathan Ashton
02-13-2017, 03:12 PM
Indeed :bg3: - perhaps I should have submitted that to RPS???

Here to help Steve:cheers:

Steve Kaluski
02-13-2017, 03:16 PM
Three accepted, one HC, can't be greedy Jon. :2eyes2:

Jonathan Ashton
02-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Three accepted, one HC, can't be greedy Jon. :2eyes2:
Congratulations!

Andrew McLachlan
02-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Hi Jonathan, I like Steve's repost best of all and by all means this image is a keeper. The cool autumn weather has given the image the perfect amount of atmosphere...nicely done.

Tim Foltz
02-18-2017, 01:12 PM
Jon, I like the 2nd version the best nice rich colors and more details, the last looks a bit washed out and to heavy with the shadow recovery.

-Tim