PDA

View Full Version : The Blue Wings

Kaushik Balakumar
06-17-2008, 06:01 AM
The light was interesting. It brought out patterns in the wings.

http://www.pbase.com/bkaushik/image/98727148.jpg

Male Calopteryx splendens

Nikon D300 + Sigma 500mm f4.5 EX HSM;
f/8, 1/250, Manual metering (Sekonic L-308s)

Is it bit too dark...?

C & C welcome...

David Chauvin
06-17-2008, 07:12 AM
The blues really pop against the dark bg anf the wing detail is beautiful. If no extension tubes were used, I'm guessing this is a fairly large crop and the crispness of the df is impressive. I wish the bottom grass head was within the depth of field, but that is a minor nit pick. I'm on an uncalibrated monitor at the moment so can't help with the brightness question.

Gordon Craig
06-17-2008, 10:53 AM
There is great detail in this picture. You must have had to sit a long time to get a dragonfly to land in a convenient spot. The Sigma lens appears to be a good lens. I have considered purchasing it

Steve Wheeler
06-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Very dramatic image Kaushik... I like it! It's a little dark, but not too dark... At least not for me. If the BG were a touch lighter it'd be easier to see his legs it seems like. Having said that the blue of the body and wings is extrordinary and contrasts extremly well with the perch... I love the texture of the perch too.

Sweet image Kaushik...

Steve

John Cooper
06-17-2008, 09:43 PM
What a beautiful Damsel Kaushik!! Nice sharp detail but I do find the image a little underexposed.
The composition would appear to lend itself to a vertical format - was the image captured in the horizontal?

Dave Phillips
06-17-2008, 09:47 PM
stunning, IMO just a bit more mid/highlight on the legs and front of head would be all this needs

Mike Moats
06-18-2008, 05:31 AM
Hey Kaushik, I like it, the damsels glow has a really cool effect.I like the framing.

Kaushik Balakumar
06-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Thank you all for sharing ur views + suggestions.

John, this was shot horizontal [ I know the perch might suggest the other way :) ] but it is a crop of about 60% of the original.

Roman Kurywczak
06-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Hi Kaushik,
Can't believe I almost missed this one. IMO if you lighten the dark BG just a bit (very, very , little)........the legs and face will begin to stand out more without sacrificing the beautiful blue! Very nice!