PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile White-tail Eagle fly past

Gerald Kelberg
02-08-2017, 06:15 AM
Hi,

Photographed this young White-tail Eagle late last year in Poland - just now getting around to processing. He had chosen to quit the group feeding on the bait and gave a nice chance against the distant trees and frosted grasses.

There is an amount of blue picked up on the dark primaries and the leading edge of the shadowed right wing. This was present in the original frame but has become more pronounced with PP. What is the best way to deal with this?

Canon EOS 1D X, EF 200-400 with Extender at 560mm
1/2500 sec, f6.3, ISO 1250
Converted in DPP4 and finished in PS5.1. Flipped and moved the Eagle within the frame; light level and curves adjustments; NR with NIK Dfine.

Thanks for looking!

Gerald

Mike Poole
02-08-2017, 10:40 AM
Great looking bird and a nice gliding pose. Out of interest there did you move the bird from in the original? I ask because for me, in a ideal world, I would have preferred the distant tree in the BG not to interest with the head.

Regarding the blue, I tried a fairly simple solution. I opened up a Hue/Saturation layer in PS, then desaturated the blue and cyan channels, then brushed over just the affected areas so as not to lose all the blues in the BG.

Mike

Jonathan Ashton
02-08-2017, 12:29 PM
A fine shot Gerald, I like the composition, excellent exposure. I have to confess I didn't notice the blue in the feathers at first then they became more apparent on the right wing tip.

William Dickson
02-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Very nice Gerald. I like the detail on the bird and the separation between subject and BG.

Will

Gerald Kelberg
02-08-2017, 03:13 PM
Hi Guys, thanks for taking a look and leaving your comments. Thanks for the solution Mike - yes I think that works well. In fact the bird was in about the same position but flying out of the frame, so I flipped it along with the background. I see your point about the tree behind, but frankly it isn't something that bothers me. Jo and Will, thanks for your kind comments - good to hear from you.

Regards, Gerald

arash_hazeghi
02-09-2017, 01:01 AM
very nice Gerald, thanks for sharing the image from this eagle most of us have never seen. colors, exposure and BG. I'd be tempted to raise the shadow under the far wing a bit more

TFS