PDA

View Full Version : Long-tailed Skipper

Joseph Przybyla
02-03-2017, 07:09 AM
I captured this image at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6 VR AF-S ED shot at 300mm (450mm FFE)
1/500 F/8 Matrix Metering EV 0 ISO 500 AWB
Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC 2017
Cropped for composition and presentation

Steve Maxson
02-06-2017, 04:45 PM
A beautiful and interesting specimen! Nice light and background and I like the diagonal of your subject. You might try tweaking the sharpening a little - the eyes and head seem a bit soft - some selective sharpening in a few spots may help - though it's pretty easy to overdo it so some experimenting may prove useful. The skipper is a little too centered for my taste. Given its orientation, you might consider cropping a bit from the left and bottom and adding a little to the top so it has more room to look into. :S3: You might also try toning down the whites on the stem to the left of the skipper. These are all just tweaks to an already strong image!

Jerry van Dijk
02-12-2017, 09:38 AM
That is one exceptional butterfly and you managed to capture all the right details and those beautiful irradiant colors! I agree with toning down the light stem to the right and adding some sharpness. I also think the image could do with some more contrast and clarity. The wings look slightly washed out now.

Jonathan Ashton
02-14-2017, 05:11 AM
Jo a lovely subject but something doesn't look quite right to me, I appreciate I am alone with this view so maybe you take it with a pinch of salt:w3.
Is the slightly washed out appearance due to the size of the crop??

Amanda Robinson
03-02-2017, 07:14 AM
Wow just Wow. Was this handheld ? Also what tube extension are you using ? :S3:
Thank you for sharing

Tim Foltz
04-26-2017, 06:00 PM
Very nice, I really like the irredescence and colors.

-Tim