PDA

View Full Version : American Kestrel with Lunch (Mouse)

Marlo Casabar
02-02-2017, 10:08 AM
As I sat watching one of the Hagerman NWR's resident Bald Eagles sitting in a tree, I noticed this Kestrel hunting in front of me. I got some shots of it as it sat in some trees and brush. I noticed it had stopped in one tree and calmly walked over to take some photos. I was pretty excited to get this shot because it's the first one I have of a Kestrel NOT on a wire. Also, if you look closely, you can see the intestines of the mouse hanging down from the body.

As always, I appreciate any and all comments.

Canon 7DII 600mm f/4L IS II USM 1.4X Extender III
Edited in DPP4 then Photoshop CC. Cropped, sharpened and tree limb removed that was above the bird.

Marlo Casabar
02-02-2017, 10:54 AM
I forgot to add camera settings...
Handheld Manual f/5.6 1/2500 ISO 400

Stuart Philpott
02-02-2017, 01:32 PM
Marlo this is a beautiful image the perch is stunning lovely bkg which sets the bird off I like your placement in frame. Marlo I'm very much learning but feel that you needed to be closer as the detail doesn't seem to be there for me. Marlo how big is the crop? I'm really looking forwards to the other comments you'll get from more experience folks,I have a deep passion for our UK native,but always love seeing your Kestrel,I find the markings stunning on the American bird

cheers for sharing

Stu

Marlo Casabar
02-02-2017, 01:40 PM
Thank you Stuart. As you know, these birds are SO skittish. I got as close as I could to the bird, but could not get any closer because of a stream between us. And yes, I had to crop in to get a nicer framing - though my wife says that she thought the original was great. This is my all time favorite bird. I'm not familiar with your Kestrel, but will look it up after I post this!

Marlo

William Dickson
02-02-2017, 05:34 PM
I like the pose on the bird and the BG colours look great. I feel the bird is lacking detail. I would try sharpening the bird more.

Will

arash_hazeghi
02-03-2017, 10:31 PM
you got the male and the prey is a plus! might clone out the intestine though. It is tough to get close to the male and the significant crop does show in terms of lack of fine details and the perch could be better but I'd hang on to this one until you find a better opportunity

Marlo Casabar
02-04-2017, 09:28 AM
you got the male and the prey is a plus! might clone out the intestine though. It is tough to get close to the male and the significant crop does show in terms of lack of fine details and the perch could be better but I'd hang on to this one until you find a better opportunity

Thank you Arash. Now that I know where this Kestrel likes to unt I will be going back. I would like to get closer, but am limited because of the stream. I will bring my 2X ExtenderIII next time.

Just wondering why why you recommend cloning out the intestines?

marlo

David Salem
02-05-2017, 10:58 AM
Nice that you got a male is right! The comp is about right for the crop. It's all about getting closer so keep after him. Arash mentioned cloning the intestines because they are a little gross to some people, but they are also part of the natural world.

Marlo Casabar
02-05-2017, 03:10 PM
Nice that you got a male is right! The comp is about right for the crop. It's all about getting closer so keep after him. Arash mentioned cloning the intestines because they are a little gross to some people, but they are also part of the natural world.

Thank you David. I was speaking with my wife about that. I was assuming the same thing. Arash is well known and sells his work, so I could see why he would look at things that way. It's probably akin to taking a photo of a lion eating a zebra and the zebra is still alive. People would look at the photo and be impressed with it, but they would never purchase that photo to hang on a wall. Now, take a photo a few minutes before where the lion is chasing the zebra, people would buy and put that on a wall. The outcome is not unknown. But the chase is compelling.

Marlo