PDA

View Full Version : White Mtns to coastal ME

Will Webster
06-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Hi, Newby here. I'll be in the White Mountains (4-day hut-to-hut loop hike around Crawford Notch) in early July followed by coastal Maine (Audubon cruise to Matinicus Rock, then dropping my wife off at Hog Island up the coast a bit from Bath). I'll have a couple of extra days in the area as well. Any suggestions for good photo opportunities? My main passion is bird photography, but I also enjoy landscapes when I travel. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bob Malbon
06-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Will, On the southwest coast of Maine there are lots of birding areas. Some of my best kept secrets are Biddeford Pool, Granite Point, not so secret but very much alive with critters is the Scarborough Marsh. You can rent a canoe at the Audubon Center right on the Pine Point Rd. Ask for Doug and if he is working he will help you with "local knowledge".
If you are going northeast from Hog Is. maybe get on the Maine Bird email list for a bit and ask there. Here is the link:
http://www.mainebirdlist.net/ That Mid Coast area is super but I do not know it well. If you want to cruse way down east look up the Bold Coast area near Cuttler and Lubec - Eagles, Ravens and shore birds galore in Lubec. From Lubec Campobello Is. is over the top for Eagles and do no miss W. and E. Quddy lighthouses.
If you did not get you fill a Matinicus Rock of sea birds a day out of Cutler with Capt. Andy to Machias Seal Is. is great for Puffins and all their cousins. I am based on the south coast so if you are south of Portland send me an email and maybe we can find some birds. Enjoy! Bob

Will Webster
06-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks, Bob! I'll definitely look into those suggestions. What equipment would you suggest for the Matinicus Rock trip? My long lenses are 500/4, 300/4 IS, and 70-200/4 non-IS; with 20D and 1DMkII bodies. I'm assuming that there will be too much engine vibration to use a tripod, but I was thinking a monopod to support the weight of the 500 and I can lift it off the deck while shooting?

Will

Axel Hildebrandt
06-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Thanks, Bob! I'll definitely look into those suggestions. What equipment would you suggest for the Matinicus Rock trip? My long lenses are 500/4, 300/4 IS, and 70-200/4 non-IS; with 20D and 1DMkII bodies. I'm assuming that there will be too much engine vibration to use a tripod, but I was thinking a monopod to support the weight of the 500 and I can lift it off the deck while shooting?

Will

For Matinicus you should use the longest lens you have. I used a 500 and 1.4x TC. Tripods and monopods are not useful on boats. It might be worth experimenting with handholding techniques beforehand.

Bob Malbon
06-18-2008, 05:27 AM
W, Axel said it 500 + TC and handheld - and pray for a flat day! Have a blast!! Bob

Will Webster
06-18-2008, 08:04 PM
Thanks, Bob and Axel! I'm really looking forward to it.

Will