PDA

View Full Version : Pine Marten in Winter #2

Andrew McLachlan
01-30-2017, 07:46 PM

Here is an alternate comp of one of the Pine Martens I was able to photograph last week in Ontario's Algonquin Provincial Park. I captured three upside down poses of this guy as it made its way down an evergreen tree...unsure as to whether or not I should evict the out of focus branches or leave them. WDYT?

Nikon D500
Nikkor 200-500mm lens @ 270mm (405mm equivalent)
ISO 1000
f8 @ 640 sec

Look forward to comments and suggestions.

kevin Hice
01-30-2017, 08:13 PM
Andrew I like this photo better than the first. I would keep the out of focus branches adds a little to the back ground . Really doesn't take from the photo.
Especially being behind or at the top of the photo. Great capture.

Rachel Hollander
01-30-2017, 08:29 PM
Hi Andrew - Another great image of the pine marten. Again colors, tones, sharpness and details all look good. I like the pose with the head lifted up towards the viewer. I can see an alternate comp here without the snowy and branches on the side, just having the marten on the trunk as the image.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
01-31-2017, 11:44 AM
Hi Andrew, like the symmetry on this one and the head up. Perhaps removal of the branches whilst still retaining the snow backdrop may make it too sterile? Could the road do with a hint of warmth in it???

TFS
Steve

Andreas Liedmann
01-31-2017, 03:22 PM
Hi Andrew ... well this works way better for me than the previous post .
All does look good ... wish for a bit more room on the bottom of the frame , the marten does look a bit cramped into the frame for my liking .
Lovely color , tone and details .

Great work , TFS Andreas

Ryan von Linden
02-02-2017, 10:23 PM
Great capture. Like Andreas I would prefer a little more on the bottom, but I really like this image.

Jonathan Spool
02-06-2017, 12:19 PM
I like the branches showing. It adds some depth to the shot.

haseeb badar
02-09-2017, 12:11 AM
Hi Andrew -- Another lovely image , nice details and sharpness. I agree with Andreas, to me it also appears a bit tight . TFS !

Morkel Erasmus
02-10-2017, 03:23 AM
I like the pose and framing a lot here, Andrew! I might try to tonally separate the martin from the bark a bit with a hint of warmth (which is what I think Steve meant)?

Kalin Botev
02-18-2017, 05:08 PM
Hi Andrew,
I like both of your marten images. I think you should leave the branches there. It shows a bit of the habitat and adds to the whole story.
Thanks for sharing.