PDA

View Full Version : the frog and the heron

Keith Carver
01-08-2008, 05:17 PM
For the heron I suppose this is humorous, for the frog not so much. This was taken this past September at a small farm pond near Union, Maine. The g-b heron stood still as a statue, suddenly stabbed into the weeds and came up with this very surprised frog. I shot the whole sequence from capture through ingestion but I like this one the best.

EOS 5D, 500 mm IS with 2X TC, 1/300 sec, f/8, ISO 400.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Welcome, Keith! I guess we are almost neighbors. :) Great action and heron/frog portrait. I wish for a bit more head turn of the heron toward you. If the head were sunlit it would have put this over the top. Depending on how you cropped this, it might also work as vertical crop. Keep them coming.

Fabs Forns
01-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Hi Keith,

Big welcome to BPN, hope we can help you improve your skills :)

Peak action here, you really nailed that.

I would have liked for you to more to you left, so the Heron's face and capture could heave been more parallel to your camera plane, thus having better depth of field. As it is, his eye and head are a little softer than the frog, obviously what you had four focus points on.

Good beginning, I see you like action.

Looking forward to more :)

Keith Carver
01-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks, Fabs, it's my first post, and I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks neighbor, very helpful suggestions.

Alfred Forns
01-08-2008, 05:43 PM
Agree all you needed was for the bird to turn his head a bit !!! Frog sure looks good !!! I'm sure there was not much you could do for a better sun angle Light is from the hard right Excellent capture!!! ... both of you !!!!

btw would like to update the name Send me a PM with your permission Thanks

Jody Melanson
01-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Really nice action captured here. It looks like a reed was between you and the Heron's eye. Nits already mentioned.

Welcome to BPN!

Arthur Morris
01-08-2008, 06:26 PM
Great suggestions above.

Really nice action captured here. It looks like a reed was between you and the Heron's eye. Nits already mentioned.

Welcome to BPN!

Was there a reed between you and the bird's face? Not sure of that as it looks as if you might have over-done Shadow-Highlight on the face. Please do let us know.

thanks and later and love, artie

Keith Carver
01-08-2008, 06:34 PM
There was a grassy reed with the frog. The small tuft above the heron's head was there because the wind was blowing.

Arthur Morris
01-08-2008, 06:40 PM
Hi Keith, Sorry that I did not express myself clearly. I was asking about the area of grey just above the bird's eye; it looks quite funky/muddy...

later and love, artie

Keith Carver
01-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Hi Artie, I see what you mean now, but am not sure why. Am replying from my iPhone so don't have the other images in this set with me . Will check those tomorrow and see if I can find why the muddy area.

Best,

Keith

Glenn Bartley
01-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Poor froggy.

I wish the bird was a bit more parallel with the frame and for a better light angle. Cheers!