PDA

View Full Version : Bee eaters

Gerhard Weldhagen
01-29-2017, 03:18 AM
I got these two bee eaters this morning at a wetland close to home. They were unusually co-operative out in the open, normally at this wetland they hang around in dead trees too far away for a decent shot. Canon 1Dx II, EF 600 IS II, 1.4 TC III, f8, ISO 800, 1/1600, handheld. Processed with PS CC / NIK.

Thanks for looking, all comments and critique welcome.

Joe Subolefsky
01-29-2017, 09:43 AM
Gerhard nice BG and it appears there is sharp focus on the main bird. However it looks like the entire image was a bit over cooked with a NIK filter unless you were going for a painterly look?

Gerhard Weldhagen
01-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Gerhard nice BG and it appears there is sharp focus on the main bird. However it looks like the entire image was a bit over cooked with a NIK filter unless you were going for a painterly look?

Hi Joe,

Interesting thought, one round of NIK Dfine may not overcook any image. This is what the BG looked like straight out of the camera - I lined the birds up with a distant hill accross the wetland thus blurring it out completely. Cropping for composition and down sizing for web applications may have contributed to the loss of detail in the already sparse BG. I will post some more images later, they look pretty much the same, definitely no painterly effects for me!

Cheers,

Gerhard