View Full Version : Swan On Ice

William Dickson
01-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm with 1.4
f/9
1/2000
ISO 640

This one is from my visit to the loch, a couple of weeks ago, where you can see, it was completely frozen over, so, no ducks to photograph, but I did have a good time, although a cold time, with the Mute Swans. I liked how the tip of the wing on this one touched the ice.

Will

Joe Subolefsky
01-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Cool frame for sure love the tips touching. Looks good and sharp as well. I think if the BG was just a little lighter especially behind and above the bird it would be even nicer but you where there and know what it looked like. TFS

Daniel Cadieux
01-28-2017, 02:58 PM
I love the feathers pressing against the ice, very neat! Good looking whites, nice details, balanced composition. I love the trailing feet too!

keith mitchell
01-28-2017, 03:25 PM
First thing I noticed Will was those feathers bent against the ice,your exposure looks about perfect to me,great job mate.

Keith.

Bill Dix
01-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Very interesting capture, with good detail and exposure, and that great wing-touch.

David Seymour
01-29-2017, 05:47 AM
Hi William, this low-level flight over the ice would have been a great capture even without that wing touch, but that extra element seems to just lift it into the extraordinary class. Wonderful piece of work - if you can use that word for the joy of capturing something like this! Nice job on nailing the exposure just right also, not easy with this subject.

Stuart Philpott
01-29-2017, 10:46 AM
Will, this is a stunning image of our mute,wow so sharp and the wing touch really is lovely echo the comments about the white ,so well handled,great placement in frame too

Stu

Steve Kaluski
01-30-2017, 12:16 PM
Hi Will, a real belter, very cool and nice to see a higher SS :S3:.

Your call, but I think just removing the streak above the swan brings more prominence, also there is more detail in that lovely wing if you do want to pullout more depth.

Well done. :cheers:

William Dickson
01-31-2017, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. Hi Steve, thanks for that. It does look better :S3:

Will