PDA

View Full Version : Snipe on dry stone wall.

keith mitchell
01-27-2017, 08:16 AM
Nikon D4
Nikon 300mm 2.8
1/640@f8
iso1000.

Thanks for taking a look .

Mike Poole
01-27-2017, 08:22 AM
I agree with your file name of 'best-yet'! This is a really good shot Keith, the wall is a nicer perch than the posts, and the head angle is great. Details look spot on as well.

The highlights on the lichen and on the head could possibly do with a little taming down though.

Mike

Joe Subolefsky
01-27-2017, 10:04 AM
Really nice. Good head angle,BG and the rocks look good. Not sure if you could have got a little higher to see more of the feet but I think that would take it up a notch. TFS

Isaac Grant
01-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Such nice composition here. Love the lichen on the rocks and the green background. Pose is good as well and really stands out nicely. Pity you did not have a better sun angle as you have some harsh shadows on the belly of the bird. Also the background is grainy and I think would benefit from some additional noise reduction.

Daniel Cadieux
01-27-2017, 12:13 PM
Great bird in a beautiful setting! I like the perch, BG, sharpness. I agree about the light angle, but still not too bad. I would likely subdue the bluish cast in the shadows, and slightly tone down the very brightest whites in the rocks, but this image has a lot going for it. Nicely done overall.

Joseph Przybyla
01-27-2017, 12:45 PM
You kill me with your Snipe out in the open, I would die for an opportunity like that here. Thank you for sharing, Keith.

annmpacheco
01-27-2017, 02:47 PM
H Keith, snipe looks terrific on that perch! I agree with the comments above... Also, there is ?something at the top base of the beak that i would lasso out of there... TFS

keith mitchell
01-28-2017, 04:07 AM
Thanks Mike take your point,Thanks Joe don't think I could change the angle with the shot being taken from my car,thanks Isaac Did wonder before posting about that Bg,thanks Dan some very useful points raised,thanks Joe will swap you for one of your Owls,Ann think that is a piece of grass and did wonder if anyone would bring it up chances are that I would make a mess trying to remove it.

Keith.

Jonathan Ashton
01-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Keith the first thing I said to myself was genuinely "best yet" how about that for a coincidence. Great shot, lovely details
My only suggestion would be to tone down the brightest highlights. (There are a number of different ways to do this......??)

William Dickson
01-28-2017, 10:08 AM
Beautiful frame Keith. Fantastic pose and I really love the BG, which shows the bird well. The perch looks cool as well.

Nice one

Will

Stuart Philpott
01-29-2017, 10:32 AM
Hey buddy, Keith these snipe are usually so tough,you really have beeen posting some corkers of them,I have a soft spot for the old drystone wall one of the few man made perches that really does it for me. No nits here Keith ,just a lot of joy to see.
Well done mate

Stu

keith mitchell
01-31-2017, 07:50 AM
Thanks Jon,Stu,and Will much appreciated.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
02-01-2017, 09:11 AM
Well done Keith, Dan summed things up well to take the image of several notches, well worth addressing the Blue as mentioned, plus Cyan.

TFS
Steve

keith mitchell
02-02-2017, 08:16 AM
Thanks Steve/Dan here is the repost with the blue/cyan removed

Steve Kaluski
02-02-2017, 08:20 AM
That looks better Keith. :cheers: