PDA

View Full Version : Downy Woodpecker

arash_hazeghi
01-26-2017, 01:54 AM
A frame from Victoria, BC. The downy's are very cute and one of my fav. birds. This was shot from a setup in a bright morning.

5D4 400 DO II + 1.4X III. ISO 1600. f/5.6 at 1/1000 sec. hand held. DPP 4.5

Jonathan Ashton
01-26-2017, 01:23 PM
Agreed a very cute bird indeed. I suspect the light did not make for the easiest processing, I like the shot as presented but I would suggest desaturating the red cap a little and lifting the darkest plumage a little also lowering the very brightest whites adjacent to the red cap. I appreciate you may disagree for reasons already discussed and I appreciate your stance........but it may be worth having a look just for curiosity WDYT?

arash_hazeghi
01-26-2017, 02:53 PM
Hi Jon, thanks for comments and time but just like the previous one this looks fine on my NEC 4K screen so I can only conclude you and I are seeing different things, I am not sure if it is your monitor or OS color profile that's off. I am saying this because I saw a distinct color cast on this image you posted http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/138775-Great-spotted-woodpecker which Steve also pointed out as well. Maybe sync up with Steve and see what is going on

best

Isaac Grant
01-26-2017, 05:12 PM
I'm with Arash on this. Everything also looks spot on to me. Details, processing and exposure are perfect as usual. And beautifully set off by that rich colors of that brown background and the beautiful greenery of the Pacific Northwest. Killer IQ for ISO 1600.

As with your Flicker shot could you explain your crop here please? With such a small bird here I would be tempted (perhaps/likely wrongly?) to not have as much of the green of the perch visible and to have maybe a bit more of the background. My thinking would be that I don't want the green to overpower the bird.