View Full Version : Mandarin Duck

William Dickson
01-24-2017, 01:58 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm
f/6.3
1/800
ISO 3200

Mandarin Ducks are rarely seen in Scotland, but, I discovered that they had bred at Loch Lomond. I went there on Saturday, and found 5 males and 2 females on a river near to the loch. They were swimming under lots of overhanging trees, and the weather was dull and overcast. Occasionally some would come out into the open where I managed to capture quite a few shots of this beautiful duck.

Will

Geoffrey Montagu
01-24-2017, 02:45 PM
What a great capture, William. A striking beauty and love the wake in front pushing into smooth water.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Joseph Przybyla
01-24-2017, 03:21 PM
I like it, Will. Nice low POV, the wake in front of the bird really indicates motion. I wondered if you had the full reflection. The water in front of the wake appears calm, maybe a vertical showing the whole reflection if you have it. Just a thought. Thank you for sharing.

William Dickson
01-24-2017, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, I did have some more Joe, but unfortunately the reflection was broken. It didn't look good. I thought about the crop for a while, then decided with this one.

Will

Tim Foltz
01-24-2017, 05:22 PM
William, nice angle, love the crystal wake, image looks like it's on a bit of an angle but other than that image is sharp and well exposed.

-Tim

Alex Becker
01-24-2017, 10:06 PM
This is awesome -- I love the colors, detail, and water being gently pushed here. Maybe just me but I think it could benefit from a very slight clockwise rotation? Thanks for sharing this -- this is a bird I can't wait to see.

keith mitchell
01-25-2017, 07:47 AM
Agree a slight rotation ,you can see that dull weather that you referred to Will,very well done getting what you have got,duck looks great.

Keith.

Adhika Lie
01-25-2017, 08:54 AM
Very very beautiful, Will! The rotation noted, the bow wave made the image for me.