PDA

View Full Version : Purple Martin

Isaac Grant
01-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Another one from the summer that I never processed. This Purple Martin was photographed at the Lemon Creek Marina in Staten Island, New York. Late evening light. I love going to this place and watching the martins. I take pics for a little while and then play with my boys in the fields and at the beach. Makes for a perfect summer evening.

Canon 7d mark ii and Canon 100-400 ii. Hand held. ISO 800, SS 1/1600, F5, 220mm, +1 1/3

Converted in DPP 4.5. In PS I sharpened, applied NR to background. Used Detail Extractor to get a bit more out of bird. Did not have bird dead center so moved it right and added a bit of room to left and then cropped for vertical.

Geoffrey Montagu
01-23-2017, 05:21 PM
Great flight image, Isaac. Love the rich warm light with the Martin against the blue sky. I like the full extension of the wings and fanned tail feathers. Well captured.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Jonathan Ashton
01-23-2017, 05:56 PM
Looks good Isaac but there is no associated colour profile, I wonder if I am looking at the optimal version?

Isaac Grant
01-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Not sure what you are referring to. I just did a export/save for web and saved it. Where are you seeing info re the color profile?

David Salem
01-23-2017, 11:29 PM
A solid IF shot Isaac. Good job with the exposure and the details look great too. Well captured

Stu Bowie
01-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Hi Isaac, not easy to capture these fast flyers in the frame, so well done on that. Love the late warm light, and you nailed a great flying pose with the outspread wings and fanned tail. I do like your choice of a vertical comp too.

keith mitchell
01-24-2017, 02:45 PM
For a fast flying small bird Isaac this is excellent,love the way the light as caught it showing off the good feather detail.

Keith.

arash_hazeghi
01-25-2017, 11:23 PM
this is a sharp shot, I like the fanned tail and also the far wing position but wish the near wing was raised, the next step is to get one against color and lower in the sky.

TFS

Isaac Grant
01-25-2017, 11:55 PM
Ha! No way will the 7d2 track one of these against a busier background. No way!!! Need a 1dxii for that :w3. Agree completely about the near wing. Almost on this one but needed it to be just a bit more raised. Getting the birds lower in the sky is quite hard as the birds tend to never go lower than the nest boxes which are about 9 feet off of the ground. I can at times get them at eye level but it is rare. Will have to keep trying.