PDA

View Full Version : Flamingo take off

Stu Bowie
01-23-2017, 02:56 PM
My previous post was a Gannet take off, so I thought I would share a Flamingo take off. This was taken in the Milnerton Lagoon in Cape Town, and taken just after 6.00am. There were quite a few Flamingo's that had been feeding, and when one takes off, they all take off, so you have time to choose your 'target' and ensuring you dont have parts of other Flamingo's in the frame. This was full frame, and just reduced the frame to the correct size for posting.

Canon 1D Mark IV
Canon 300mm F/2.8 +2X TC = 600mm
1/1600
F/8.0
ISO 640

Manual Exposure.
Hand Held

Isaac Grant
01-23-2017, 04:11 PM
I really like the running take off you captured here complete with the splashing water. Beautiful and warm morning light works great with the pinks of this bird and that great pink reflection as well. I guess the only thing that would improve this in my book was if the background was a bit more blurred but that is just being super picky.

keith mitchell
01-23-2017, 04:26 PM
Stu that long legged running pose is great with just a nice splash from the back foot,see what Isaac is saying about the BG but must admit the bird itself holds my attention,very well done getting this.

Keith.

John Whaley
01-23-2017, 06:30 PM
I like this one Stu. Beautiful lighting and colors. Sharp focus and good detail. The splash adds to the action.

Rachel Hollander
01-23-2017, 08:00 PM
Hi Stu - This works quite well. I like the running pose with splash, warm morning light and bit of reflected colors. Nice and sharp too. I'm betting you got a few more keepers than you originally thought on this trip.

TFS,
Rachel

David Salem
01-23-2017, 11:27 PM
Wow! What a cool take off pose Stu. Love the extended legs and the long neck as he takes to the air. The morning light looks great and I like the water and grass colors. A very unique frame. Very nice shot

Steve Kaluski
01-24-2017, 03:02 AM
Like this a lot Stu, can only echo David's comments above.

TFS
Steve

Mike Hitchen
01-24-2017, 07:07 AM
This is a great shot with the wings out and legs in full sprint. It looks totally unaerodynamic - I wonder if the flamingo knows that?

Stu Bowie
01-24-2017, 08:59 AM
Thanks a stack for all the feedback everyone.

William Dickson
01-24-2017, 02:29 PM
All been said Stu, and I agree. Fabulous looking frame. Love the legs and splash.

Will