PDA

View Full Version : Theme Frosty Eagle...

Geoff Newhouse
01-22-2017, 07:54 PM
Here is another bald eagle frame from December. It was -28C that day so things had gotten a little frosty.

This was handheld with Canon 1DX2, Canon 100-400II + 1.4TCIII shot at 560mm f/8 1/400 ISO 800

The one thing that bugs me a bit is the obstructed eye because of the frosty feathers but I also like the fact that having that tells the true story of how cold and frozen this eagle was. Let me know what you think...should I remove that frosty "eyebrow" or leave it as is.

Thanks
Geoff

Alex Becker
01-22-2017, 08:58 PM
Nice shot -- I like the composition, snow, and pinecones especially. The eagle puffed up is nice too. I think I'd like to see a version with the 'eyebrow' removed but I didn't initially notice it either.

annmpacheco
01-22-2017, 09:47 PM
Wow, way to go Geoff, this image is splendid. I love the "chill" factor here, and you have composed the bird nicely with a frosted spruce and the great BG. I noticed the frost on the eye and it didn't bother me at all, just the opposite, this bird is cold! Love the puffed feathers and how nicely he is framed in the boughs... leave the frosty brow: it tells a story. Well done, so nice and sharp too.

John Whaley
01-22-2017, 11:08 PM
Great shot, well composed with the white snow working with the white head. Lighter brown pine cones add.

arash_hazeghi
01-23-2017, 03:41 AM
nice pose and a very attractive setting with the snow covered pine tree. good exposure and details + nice light. I would clone out the frosty eye brow, at small size it is hard to see what it exactly is and is more of a distraction IMO. I wish the branches had not interested with the eagle, maybe moving to the your right was not an option(?) I also think this shot works better if cropped tighter or even portrait crop as the space in from of the eagle is mostly empty.

TFS

gail bisson
01-23-2017, 08:42 AM
I really like this!
Beautiful environment shown. I love the branches and the pine cones and the snow.
I am OK with or without the eyebrow of ice. Why don't you do a repost so we can see what it looks like without the eyebrow?
I would crop this differently - I would like less space on the right and a bit more added to the bottom of the frame. The eagle is gazing a bit downward so I feel a bit more room below would strengthen the image.
I would smooth out/blend the 2 whitish round areas at bottom of frame.
I wonder if you were able to shoot this in a portrait orientation? I think that would look great as well.
Congrats on a lovely image,
Gail

stuart wanuck
01-23-2017, 02:38 PM
yes very nice like bg and pines as well as eagle

Geoff Newhouse
01-23-2017, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Here are a couple reposts.....
1) Just tried to clone out the frosty over the eye
2) Vertical crop...much tighter
3) FF image so others can add their crop suggestion....may involve cloning out the white band and lower branches in the frame.

Geoff Newhouse
01-23-2017, 05:12 PM
Also thought I'd add this other frame I got a few minutes later when the sun came out....this one I did choose a vertical as he was looking even more down and fluffing himself.

This one was 5DSR 100-400II at 400mm f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 1250

This was the last day shooting my 5DSR...I had both cameras out there freezing my butt off. 5DSR now replaced with 5D4 for a number of reasons.

John Mack
01-23-2017, 07:33 PM
Love the snow on the tree & frost on the eagle makes it say its cold. Nice light & exposure too.

arash_hazeghi
01-23-2017, 10:49 PM
this is how I'd crop this image. As far as the image in pane 9 it doesn't work as well given its HA.