PDA

View Full Version : Red-shouldered Hawk

Juan Tolentino
01-22-2017, 12:22 AM
This image was taken in Pembroke Pines Florida with the Nikon D500 Handheld and AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm 1-5.6E ED VR
ISO 400
f5.6
1/250s
500mm
Manual Mode
LR for white balance. PS for a little sharpening.
Crop >50%

All CC's will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking

JT

Adhika Lie
01-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Wow very sharp, maybe a little bit too sharp? I am wishing a little more room to the top, Juan. But you got a very nice depth of field there with the bird's tail still being sharp enough.

John Whaley
01-22-2017, 04:44 PM
Very sharp, great feather detail and a bright clear eye. I would like to see it with the highlights and maybe exposure reduced a bit. The crop feels tight.

Geoff Newhouse
01-22-2017, 08:04 PM
I love the details but feel it is over sharpened somewhat. Shooting angle down onto the grass isn't ideal but still a nice image with good look back HA from the hawk.

TFS
Geoff

PS if I view on my 5KiMac the sharpness is good, on my regular iMac the sharpness is overdone. I had just realized this tonight when posting my own image and thought it looked less sharp than my jpeg on my 5K screen. On the non-5K it looks as it should. This forum must have issue displaying on 4K/5K monitors. I had never realized that before.

Alex Becker
01-22-2017, 08:37 PM
Agree with Geoff that the image looks over sharpened, but I'm also on a Mac so maybe an issue on my end. I think the whites are too bright / maybe the whole image could be brought down a bit. I like the look back here. Thanks for sharing!

Juan Tolentino
01-22-2017, 10:19 PM
Thank you for the comments and suggestions guys.

Here's the repost, with less sharpening (looks like I need to keep this in check with my monitor), less crop and exposure reduced by 1/3 (brightest white is around 228 now).

After I saw your comments I went back to LR and realized that I was burning the whites in three spots (I guess I did something by mistake in PS).

Thanks again guys, please let me know what do you think about the repost.