PDA

View Full Version : Quail

Jerry van Dijk
01-20-2017, 04:32 PM
Technically, this is a bird, but I thought this was more fit for the macro forum. I was struck by the patterns on some quail eggs I got, so I experimented a little with egg photography. I used a large white sheet of paper as a background to create a high key effect. Since this is an experiment, I'm happy to get any feedback.
Nikon D7000, 200mm f/4 Micro, tripod, remote w. MUP, ISO-100, f/11, 2.5 sec., +2EV. BG lit with LED torch.

Steve Maxson
01-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Hi Jerry. All the technical aspects look good (sharpness, lighting, comp) and the image shows the interesting markings on the egg. I'm wondering how this might look with a different background - say a light blue or green. Might that be an improvement? - or not. A matter of taste, I expect. :S3:

Jerry van Dijk
01-27-2017, 12:38 PM
Thanks Steve, I've made images with a black BG as well. Those are more conventional, I was trying something new here with the high key approach. If I get around to processing again (term just ended, so loads of grading to do), I'll post one with a black BG.

Jonathan Ashton
01-31-2017, 03:42 AM
Nicely executed, I think the exposure and contrast are spot on. I am guessing you balanced the egg on salt??

Jerry van Dijk
02-01-2017, 03:58 AM
Thanks Jon! Indeed, a small pile of salt, well spotted! I actually hoped it wouldn't be visible at all, but the shadow of the egg gives it away. I refrained from painting in shadow over the salt.