PDA

View Full Version : Theme Bald Eagle in snow...

Geoff Newhouse
01-20-2017, 10:34 AM
Just a bald eagle on a perch in a snow fall....

Handheld, Canon 1DX2, Canon 600 II, f/4, 1/640. ISO 640.

Hope you like it....

arash_hazeghi
01-20-2017, 01:57 PM
I like the pose, and the falling snow! good exposure and details, you can bump up the contrast a touch to compensate for the snow that was between your lens and the eagle. I wish the OOF tree on the left was not in the frame.
wondering if you could have stepped to your right a bit more

TFS

Geoff Newhouse
01-20-2017, 02:16 PM
I like the pose, and the falling snow! good exposure and details, you can bump up the contrast a touch to compensate for the snow that was between your lens and the eagle. I wish the OOF tree on the left was not in the frame.
wondering if you could have stepped to your right a bit more

TFS

Thanks Arash for your thoughts.

I was going to add to the OP that my own critique was the OOF left tree being somewhat distracting. But I thought I'd give everyone something obvious to critique:S3: I was sneaking around the tree to get the shot and I think the next step around sent him off flying. In that particular area the eagles can be fairly tolerant but usually more the juveniles. I shoot so many eagles that I usually can predict their behavior and try to not disturb them but not every bird is the same and this one was actually tolerant as he could see me even for this shot. Still when I moved to remove the OOF foreground he decided that was enough.

I will try a bit more contrast and see what I think but I think I left it at this way as I liked the effect of the snow softening the image somewhat. Ambiance!!

Jonathan Ashton
01-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Wow I think it's grea, just one minor issue for me is the fluffy white area near the wing tip.

Geoffrey Montagu
01-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Like this image a lot, Geoff. Wonderfull detail both on the eagle and the snow. Agree with Jonathan re the fluffy white area near wing tip.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Isaac Grant
01-20-2017, 08:00 PM
I love the feel of this shot. Beautiful eagle with the soft falling snow. I took the liberty of removing the unfortunate tree on the left. Extended the branch a bit and cloned out the little snag that sticks up on the left side of the bird. Also applied a little NIK detail extractor to try and accentuate the snow a bit. I guess that would make it anti ambiance :S3:. Could not get the size right so I lowered the quality to 78%. This is not stuff I normally do to a shot and not sure how others feel about it but I felt like this was such a pretty shot that it deserved it. Thoughts?

arash_hazeghi
01-20-2017, 09:33 PM
Issac hit all the points with the repost. great job

Bill Dix
01-21-2017, 09:00 AM
A beautiful scene, well captured, with the above critiques as noted; and an amazing repost by Isaac. Another possibility would be a vertical crop to remove much of the oof left side.

John Whaley
01-21-2017, 01:58 PM
Great capture. Issac nailed the pp.

Geoff Newhouse
01-22-2017, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the repost.

I had just noticed that when viewing images on this forum that the images appear as I intended if I view on my non-5K iMac but appear soft on my 5KiMac (I run the non-5K as a separate screen for my 5K) I had never noticed that before. When I view Issac's repost it looks over sharpened on the non-5K but perfect on the 5K. My OP on my non-5K looks about the same in sharpness as Issac's does on the 5K.

My jpeg file viewed in Preview looks like the posting does on the non-5K screen.

Has anyone else noticed this issue with the forum? I assume it is an issue with how it renders for high-DPI screens?

arash_hazeghi
01-23-2017, 04:00 AM
Geoff

high DPI screens usually require less sharpening than the older screens. My advise is that stick only to one type of screen for your workflow, i.e. earthier all 4K/5K or all standard resolution, otherwise you will get inconsistent results. Most folks on this forum use 4K/5K/retina screens so to get the best feedback try to optimize for those screens.

best