PDA

View Full Version : Serengeti Light Show

Jeffrey Sipress
06-16-2008, 02:48 PM
I encountered some mid-afternoon atmospheric events while shooting wildlife in Africa. The true wildlife shooters in my vehicle were a bit baffled figuring out what to make of it, while I already had my 24-105 on the big guy (1DSIII) and was bean-bagging it. This was a very difficult dynamic range to handle, and that may show a little, but I think I was able to capture the excitement. The coloration was from nearby grass fires, whether I liked it or not.

http://machinearts.com/bpnimages/elephantclouds1.jpg

Roman Kurywczak
06-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi Jeffrey,
Looks like the Africa trip paid off in a big way. Ideally the elephant would be facing the other way........but neither one of us is turning him around.......so that being said........lighten him a hair.........so he stands out a bit more from the sky and for my tastes I'd probably crop a third of the grass with a tiny bit off the sky........above the Dark grey cloud (bring it back more to a 3/2 ratio)............that being said I think the exposure balance is right on and overall because of the stunning sky..........this one is great!.........screams Africa!

David Steele
06-16-2008, 11:22 PM
This is amazingly good, Jeffrey. If only the elephant had been walking 'into' the picture (and therefore towards the light) I believe it could possibly have been the best wildlife image posted onto BPN. A truly dramatic image with wonderful colours.

Vincent Grafhorst
06-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Hi Jeffrey, I love the atmosphere this breathes. Must have been a difficult one to handle indeed, did you blend different exposures? A pity the ellie is walking out of the frame though, you should have asked the driver to re-position maybe?

Valerio Tarone
06-17-2008, 02:26 PM
hi loukie dramatic african sky! landscape and wildlife together.. I agree.. one of the best in last days.

Steve Wheeler
06-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Absolutely gorgeous image... Would agree with what's been said above... But that hasn't stopped me from going back up and looking another half a dozen times.

Versatility and keeping an open mind pays off!

Really nicely done Jeffery.

Steve

Robert Amoruso
06-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Agree that the image is exceptional. The sun and elephant balance each other quite well and the comp works to make the happen. Exposure looks right on.

Please post full exposure and equipment techs as that is very helpful.

Gus Cobos
06-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Simply fantastic. I like the mood and story created here. The sky and clouds are great...:cool:

hans stel
07-07-2008, 05:54 AM
Speachless....