PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe Sunrise

Morkel Erasmus
01-17-2017, 02:00 PM
How could I not partake in the theme this month?? :bg3:
I have incidentally also just written a short blog post with my thoughts on the "ANIMALSCAPE" as a genre, you can read it here:
http://blog.morkelerasmus.com/2017/01/the-animalscape.html (http://blog.morkelerasmus.com/2017/01/the-animalscape.html)

I took this photo on our fairly recent trip to Etosha in Namibia, one morning at the Klein Namutoni waterhole in the east of the park.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR-II @ 70mm
f5.6 | 1/320 SS | ISO-200
Single Exposure

Stuart Philpott
01-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Mokel as ever an inspiration plus huge thanks for the thoughts, compelling reading for me,done once already,guess i'll be going back a few times:cheers:

Stunning as always,the rays are fantastic plus the reflection . waterfowl as well . Clever positioning/framing, Morkel a question and one I'm really arguing with myself over,would you have preferred him closer,not much!!!!!! It's just they are sooooooooo tall. One doesn't always get choices in nature l don't want him big in frame Morkel at all I'm just pondering thier incredible height and whether slightly closer might have conveyed that,sorry mate you spark these questions in me. I love how you "see " Africa

thanks for sharing both this and the words in your blog

Stu

Jonathan Ashton
01-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Beautiful Morkel - I lke the composition and overall exposure. I doubt very much I could improve it but I would consider lifting the sandy area laterally inline with his feet -WDYT? - Just to add a little contrast.

haseeb badar
01-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Hi Morkel -- Saw this image on your blog , loved it the first time i saw it . composition is excellent and the sky looks lovely . Very nicely processed as well , an image I would love to have in my collection .

TFS !

Loi Nguyen
01-17-2017, 11:43 PM
What's not to like? The sun radiates the energy in all directions, filtered by the cloud and the lone giraffe gave life to the scene. Love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rachel Hollander
01-18-2017, 08:50 AM
Hi Morkel - Excellent "God rays" and reflection of the sun in the waterhole. Comp works well but any chance you took some even wider to include the whole cloud? I recognize you would have needed a wider lens to do so and might not have been able to switch. Love the colors and great job on the exposure.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Pollock
01-18-2017, 10:05 AM
Hi Morkel,

A fantastic image. The light rays above the cloud and the sun's reflection in the pool are beautiful.

Best Regards,
Ken

Andreas Liedmann
01-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Hi Morkel agree with all the other folks .... stunning frame .
Well handled exposure and lovely colors .
Love that waterhole a lot .
Brilliant work :cheers:

TFS Andreas

Gabriela Plesea
01-20-2017, 03:10 PM
Dear Morkel,

Opening this thumbnail I cannot help but realise I am staring at the complete opposite of what one may describe as the congestion, poverty and ugliness of human habitat. My eyes are fixed on the lovely sunrise and this apparition (giraffe) walking towards the waterhole. Despite the relative darkness, I would probably even use a pocket camera to capture this scene. I would want to take it home with me, if only to relive this moment again. What beauty. I find this so inspiring, Morkel.

Thank you so much for sharing,

Morkel Erasmus
01-22-2017, 04:51 AM
Thank you for the kind comments folks...

Steve Kaluski
01-22-2017, 05:16 AM
An arresting image Morkel, were the 'rays' emphasised via filter or in PP, as there has been a lot recently discussed about this and how to create dramatic sunlight???

TFS
Steve

Morkel Erasmus
01-22-2017, 07:20 AM
An arresting image Morkel, were the 'rays' emphasised via filter or in PP, as there has been a lot recently discussed about this and how to create dramatic sunlight???

TFS
Steve

thanks Steve
rays pretty much as is in the RAW file, just added a hint of Nik contrast overall

keith mitchell
01-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Morkel if only to be there and witness what you have caught must be magic,just to sit there with maybe a cold beer sheer BLISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Morkel Erasmus
02-17-2017, 12:49 PM
Cheers Keith - still at dawn so a nice cup of coffee does it for me. First beer only around 10am :bg3:

Jonathan Ashton
02-17-2017, 02:40 PM
Cheers Keith - still at dawn so a nice cup of coffee does it for me. First beer only around 10am :bg3:
Sounds like an excellent regime to me, I will be saving up to join you!