PDA

View Full Version : Hosta Flower

Nonda Surratt
06-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Trying for interesting presentation?

M111, 200f2.8@f3.5, ISO 400, 1/500

David Chauvin
06-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Nonda,,,,,technically everything looks fine here, but the angle of approach doesn't grab me. Maybe a bit lower? Since I can't know what you were faced with, maybe that wasn't possible. It's nice as presented, but????:confused:

Best Regards,,,,David

Roman Kurywczak
06-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi Nonda,
I do understand what david is talking about. The exposure is perfect..but compositionally..........there is a lot going on. I always find these types of blooms difficult as they have so many flowers............it's tough to find a cut off point. Maybe focusing on the green top and buds with one fully open bloom would work............but it is very difficult with these type of blooms.

Nonda Surratt
06-16-2008, 07:28 PM
David, Roman,

I agree with both of you on Hosta flowers which is why I keep trying to get the whole flower and make it work. Top down, side images etc. would seem the more logical choice.

David BG was the issue here which is why the angle, I didn't want a solid color or anything to opposite, thought that would help, guess not. Processed for a softer look too.

So back to the drawing board...Thanks a bunch for your comments!

Mary Stamper
06-17-2008, 09:52 PM
I find this discussion rather fascinating because I really love this shot. Not really sure why anyone sees a problem with it. :) It's a wonderful portrayal of a complex flower that does an artistic job of showing it's complexity without reducing it down to some tiny aspect. Scrumptious background, and perfect choice of focus plane. Beautiful job!

Mike Moats
06-18-2008, 05:37 AM
Hey Nonda, I have to agree with Mary, the comp looks good to me, and I think you did a great job with a subject that has a lot going on.

Nonda Surratt
06-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Well thanks Mary and Mike I certainly appreciate your take as well because the above is actually more my style, but I'm not sure if my style is acceptable..If that makes sense?

Mary Stamper
06-18-2008, 11:49 AM
And who are the style police? There are lots of different styles. It is inevitable that not everyone will like everything. It doesn't mean that something is bad just because not everyone likes it. Aim to please yourself first and foremost. IMHO, the first step to producing good art is to be true to oneself. Anything else runs the risk of being hollow.

If you like it, go for it.

David Chauvin
06-18-2008, 12:03 PM
Nonda,,,,,,,,,,Acceptable shouldn't ever enter into the equation unless it's for sale and then it has to be acceptable to the buyer. That's the beauty of these forums,,,,,,instant feedback from many different points of view. On aesthetic matters it becomes a very personal thing and I always find it interesting to hear how others see things and if an image "works" for them. Best Regards,,,,David

Nonda Surratt
06-18-2008, 03:01 PM
Ok ok, point taken:) I quite like the look I archived with the above, BUT it is very easy to doubt your own taste (well mine anyway) especially when your images are being looked at by pros and very experienced folks. And I certainly appreciate the feedback from all of you!!!!

I have been trying since last year to get a whole hosta flower, they are hard to frame I think, and with a nice BG. So I'll put this one down as it works for some and not others and continue on!

Thanks again!

Gail Spitler
06-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Nonda
From another non-pro: I like the image very much.
Gail