PDA

View Full Version : Northern Harrier

David Salem
01-09-2017, 08:12 PM
I hope everybody had a great Holiday Season and a Happy New Year!!

I caught this beautiful Juvie Northern Harrier a few weeks ago as she gave me a nice fly by in the early morning light. This is typical habitat that they are commonly found in. When I was a young boy we didn't even know them as Harriers, we called them Marsh Hawks. Hope you like it.

1DX---840mm---f6.3---ss1/3200th---ISO640---HH@8:15am---25% crop

Thanks as always for looking and for your input. I appreciate it.

David

Kirk Benson
01-09-2017, 09:11 PM
Absolutely gorgeous IF capture David with excellent wing position and HA. The BG is beautiful, and your composition is just right IMO. Looks like there's a little leftovers in the talons... very cool bonus.
Masterfully processed with wonderful detail and beautifully rich and natural color. Excellent work and a true pleasure to view.

arash_hazeghi
01-09-2017, 10:00 PM
Excellent view of the bottom side of the wings with nice light and great eye contact. I am tempted to get rid of the narrow grey band in the btm of the frame. sweet shot man

David Salem
01-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Thanks Kirk!!

Thanks Arash!! I processed one with and one without the land on the bottom. I thought it added another layer of color and added to the overall look of their habitat.

David Salem
01-09-2017, 10:23 PM
Here is the one without the land on the bottom. On this one I straightened the top a bit more also.

Which do you like better and why?

Thanks for your input.

Alex Becker
01-09-2017, 11:05 PM
Hi David, this is an awesome shot! I like the eye contact and the details are great. I like the repost better due to the straightened out blue portion. I also think removing the grey bit does help, although I didn't mind it much in the original post. Thanks for sharing!

arash_hazeghi
01-09-2017, 11:36 PM
between the repost and the original I'd pick the repost. nice either way

Richard Flack
01-10-2017, 12:04 AM
Wow David, that is spectacular! I love the wing position and the background is sublime! Well done and thanks for sharing! Keeps me inspired :)

Loi Nguyen
01-10-2017, 01:33 AM
Lovely image in beautiful light, good wing position. I like the RP better too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

keith mitchell
01-10-2017, 03:34 AM
David I go for the repost but after saying that I would be thrilled to bits to have either,excellent work.

Keith.

Bill Dix
01-10-2017, 08:56 AM
Keith took the words out of my mouth - I'd be thrilled with either, but I have a slight preference for the RP. Great wing position, and extraordinary detail on the Harrier's head.

annmpacheco
01-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Hi David Love the repost, and the slight cc rotation, the blue and greens really shine io without the bottom gray.... The harrier is so sharp and love the bit of bloody flesh in the talon, wonderful work.

David Salem
01-10-2017, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments and input on the comp. Looks like the repost takes it.
Glad you noticed the leftovers still stuck on the talons. I kind of liked that.

William Dickson
01-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Yes, I like the repost best. Fab frame David. Great detail, great HA, great all over.

Well done TFS

Will

Isaac Grant
01-10-2017, 02:44 PM
Just great as always. I love the details on the bird and the pose. Just an amazing look at this harrier. I went to this image a few times before the repost and tried to figure out how I would handle this shot. You leveled off of the gray on the bottom which left the water/tree line off level. Of course the same would have happened if you leveled off of the water/tree line. Glad you posted again with the bottom cloned out as it made and already amazing shot just about perfect.

Joe Subolefsky
01-10-2017, 03:52 PM
Excellent David. I like it both ways and really can't pick one over the other. TFS

Robert Kimbrell
01-10-2017, 07:36 PM
What a superb image. Love the subject and left overs in the feet. I also have to go with the 2nd post due to the more level waterline.

Stu Bowie
01-11-2017, 10:20 AM
Hi Dave, Excellent IQ, tack sharp, and just love the very slight head turn and eye contact. Great flying pose with the raised wing, good detail to look at, and I do like the layered BG. Well captured.

Jonathan Ashton
01-12-2017, 06:42 AM
Super image David, I would go for the repost by far. Had I not seen the repost I would have been happy but the repost keeps my attention 100% on the harrier, it is about 90% on the original becasue I am looking around a little.

David Salem
01-14-2017, 02:21 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciate it.