PDA

View Full Version : 10,000!

Marina Scarr
01-05-2017, 09:17 PM
My apologies for the absence and lack of participation. Realized I had reached my 9,999th post some time ago. Finally picked an image for my 10,000th post, so now I can begin commenting/posting again. My journey on BPN began a little over 9 years ago and what an amazing ride it's been. BPN has been a great learning tool but, even more importantly for me, are the amazing people I have met through this site and the lifetime friendships I have forged.

As many of you know, owls are my favorite subjects and I believe this image is my favorite barred owlet portrait to date. One of those instances where the stars all align. Believe it or not, this bird was not called or baited. It came in to feed its fledgling, after which it flew down to check us out and briefly posed.

Thank you all for your participation over the years and for your continued inspiration and encouragement. May your 2017 be a happy, healthy and successful one, full of many photo opportunities!

Canon 1D4, Canon 500L F4
F4, 1/160sec, ISO 1250, manual mode
Feisol tripod, Jobu head

Doug Brown
01-05-2017, 09:26 PM
Congrats on your 10,000th post and thanks for everything you've done for the BPN community! Great frame of a beautiful owl on a nice perch. Like the soft light and good eye contact. Hard to believe it's been 9 years since the start of BPN!

Isaac Grant
01-05-2017, 09:39 PM
Major congrats on 10,000 and also on this frame. Hard to make a Barred Owl look better than you have here. Agree with all that Doug said. I see 2 small things that I would remove from this picture. On the left side most of the way down there is a small dot that is floating just above the bird. Maybe a fly? Also below that and on the very left edge of the frame about 1/3rd up from the bottom there is something hanging off the branch that looks kind of like an inch worm or something. I would clone both of those out. I would also add just a tiny bit of canvas on the left so that the bottom branch touching the left edge does not go out of the frame. These are very minor and easy changes to an otherwise beautiful picture.

On a side note I love Barred Owls. I found an active nest when I was in college. My best friend and I watched them raise 2 young birds. What was even more amazing was that a Pileated nested about 50 feet from it. So you could stand in one spot in between them and watch both parents come and go feeding their young. Oh to be able to go back in time with a camera...

Tim Foltz
01-05-2017, 11:16 PM
Marina, great shot, nice details, pose, BG, and exposure. Congrats on 10K.

-Tim

Loi Nguyen
01-05-2017, 11:28 PM
Lovely frame and the BG fits with the fern on the perch quite well. Congrats on your 10,000!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michael Thompson
01-05-2017, 11:59 PM
Excellent image for sure, love everything about it, great perch, background, light, color, sharpness, but what is really nice is the eyes, really bright, i can even see the iris, not easy to see that on these. great job!

arash_hazeghi
01-06-2017, 12:29 AM
congrats Marina and a very nice image to celebrate. time flies!

Stu Bowie
01-06-2017, 02:17 AM
Hi Marina, big congrats on your 10000th post, and thank you for all you do on BPN. I like your choice of comp, good eye contact, and the plumage shows up nicely. I do like the distant OOF BG. Good luck on chasing your favourite subject.

keith mitchell
01-06-2017, 05:11 AM
Congrats Marina a real cracker for your 10.000,Owlet looks beautiful.

Happy New Year.
Keith.

Joseph Przybyla
01-06-2017, 06:53 AM
Congratulations Marina, a heck of a lot of posts and long time as a member of BPN. Lovely image, best I have seen of a Barred Owl. Thank you for sharing.

Bill Dix
01-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Marina, nice to see you back. Congratulations on 10K - what a milestone! Thank you for all of the great advice and support you have offered to us over the years. Very nice image to commemorate 10K. No nits from me.

David Salem
01-06-2017, 10:21 AM
10,000K, Wow that's some dedication!! What a beautiful frame from the queen of the owls to commemorate your milestone!! It's so nice it looks like a setup!! I have really enjoyed meeting you and getting to know you as a friend over the years. You have been one of the anchors to this site and I appreciate all that you do and have done over the years.
Great to have you back and I will talk to you soon.

stuart wanuck
01-06-2017, 01:02 PM
wow just a knockout!

Mike Poole
01-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Congratulations on the 10K Marina, and thanks for all your help.

On a side note, not a bad shot either!!

A great stare with superb detail and I like the added environment which shoes the habitat well without overpowering the main subject.

Mike

William Dickson
01-06-2017, 05:52 PM
Congrats Marina and what a beauty to celebrate it with :S3:

Happy New Year from Scotland

Well done

Will

Geoffrey Montagu
01-06-2017, 08:11 PM
Congratulations! Marina. What a perfect capture of this great looking owlet.

Geoffrey

http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu (http://500px.com/geoffreymontagu)

Robert Kimbrell
01-07-2017, 01:37 PM
A beautiful image and subject. I also love the owls. Congrats on 10,000, and thanks for all your knowledge and advice you have shared over the years.

annmpacheco
01-07-2017, 03:27 PM
Congrats too Marina, thanks for all you do at BPN and also your help to me as well. This is a lovely soft light owlet, love the perch and the IQ is tops, this is a sweet image!

Daniel Cadieux
01-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Fantastic pose and perch on this beautiful image to commemorate your milestone! I'm sure you felt a bit warmer than when photographing the Great Grey Owls a couple years ago eh!

Jim Crosswell
01-09-2017, 06:16 PM
Congratulations Marina! A beautiful image to celebrate your 10,000 post on BPN. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions you have made on mine and others images.

Marina Scarr
01-16-2017, 04:30 PM
Pileated WPs and Barred Owls are often known to nest within close proximity to one another.