Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/100
Av(Aperture Value) 8.0
Metering Mode Evaluative Metering
Exposure Compensation +1
ISO Speed 400
Auto ISO Speed OFF
Lens EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Focal Length 45.0mm
I have lifted the image a little the colours were quite flat. Do you think it could still take a little more pop? Happy to provide raw if anyone wishes.
All C&C welcome

Rachel Hollander
01-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Hi Jon - Did you post the correct image? This looks like the Firehole River not Grand Prismatic Spring which is the large vibrant colored pool often photographed from above (perhaps this is the runoff from the Midway Geyser Basin into the Firehole). Again, I like all the steam rising and the river does act as a nice leading line through the image. I think you can bring out a bit more detail in the trees.

TFS,
Rachel

Jonathan Ashton
01-06-2017, 05:43 PM
Hi Jon - Did you post the correct image? This looks like the Firehole River not Grand Prismatic Spring which is the large vibrant colored pool often photographed from above (perhaps this is the runoff from the Midway Geyser Basin into the Firehole). Again, I like all the steam rising and the river does act as a nice leading line through the image. I think you can bring out a bit more detail in the trees.

TFS,
Rachel

You are almost certainly right Rachel, probably took the image on the way from one part to the other.

Jerry van Dijk
01-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Very impressive scene with all the steam, must be even more impressive in real life!. I agree that you could lift the colors of the FG a bit. Composition-wise, I'd be inclined to crop from the top to just under the large overexposed area in the clouds. I find that that area draws my eye away from the action and I don't think it adds to the nice structures you captured in the clouds underneath.

Don Railton
01-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Hi Jonathon.. I am with Rachel WRT the trees. I like the dynamics created by the steam and the water, also agree with Jerry that a little off the top would help keep the eye on the action. My suggestion would be to loose about 1/3 to 1/2 of the sky...

DON

Andrew McLachlan
01-22-2017, 09:04 PM
Hi Jonathan...a great scene with all the mist rising....with all the interest in this image occurring on the far bank of the river I see this as a panoramic scene, whereby you could crop some off the bottom and a good portion off the sky to just below the brightest areas of the clouds. I would also lift some detail out of the trees on the left side of the composition.

Jonathan Ashton
01-23-2017, 04:54 AM
Thank you everyone, I think your suggestions make a significant improvement, I am tempted to reprocess and make a print based upon what you have said.