PDA

View Full Version : Bighorn Ram Rutting

Mike Eastman
01-03-2017, 12:35 PM
Canon EOS 7D III, EF100-400 f/4-f/5.6 ISII, 1/1250 SEC at f/5.0 ISO 125 Cropped. November in northern Wyoming Shoshone National Forest the bighorn sheep rut in on. A large mature ram is rutting.

Amanda Robinson
01-03-2017, 02:35 PM
What a lovely couple! Nice shot, love it!

Mike Poole
01-03-2017, 02:44 PM
Hi Mike, welcome to BPN :wave:

Nice interaction in this frame, although I'd be tempted to see if you had one where the males eye isn't as obscured by the females fur - I think a full of his eye would help here.

Is this quite a large crop - seems quite noisy for the ISO, and I think raising the ISO would have allowed a bit more depth of field.

Hope to see some more from you

Mike

Rachel Hollander
01-03-2017, 10:30 PM
Hi Mike - Welcome to BPN and the Wildlife Forum. Very nice first post. I agree with the points raised by Mike. The eye of the mature ram draws my attention so I wish there was a bit more separation between the two. Colors look good but I also see the noise and the sharpening looks a bit overdone to me. It helps with the critique process if you give us info about any issues at time of capture (e.g was this underexposed so that the noise was introduced in lightening the image) and also what was done in post including what program you use. I presume you meant you used the 7DII (as opposed to 5DIII). Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

The best way to get the most out of BPN and to become a part of the community is to participate including by giving your thoughts on other images. We recommend commenting on 3-5 other wildlife images each time you post your own. Your comments don't have to be technical in nature. Just tell us what you like and/or don't like about an image.

TFS,
Rachel

Loi Nguyen
01-05-2017, 01:16 AM
Welcome to Wildlife and great first post. I agreed with Mike with raising the ISO to get more DOF. The ram was not sharp as a result of this lack of DOF. Not sure what focal length this was at, but I'd think you need a minimum of F8 or more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

haseeb badar
01-05-2017, 04:06 AM
Hi Mike -- Welcome to BPN and i too agree with the above comments. wont add much here , hope to see you posting more and providing your suggestions on others post as well . Nice image to start with .

TFS !

Gabriela Plesea
01-06-2017, 03:26 PM
Welcome to BPN Mike, and a very Happy New Year to You:wave:

Well seen and captured, nice eye contact and point of view andI really like the expression from your subjects. As well as the closeness, the interaction.

Colours are lovely. I do agree a bit more DOF would have been great and you could go easier on the sharpening. If this were mine I would also try a version with less on the bottom, just above your signature.

I really hope we get to see more from you soon, as well as hear your opinion on our images.

Kind regards,