PDA

View Full Version : Red Kite in low winter sun

dennis greenwood
01-03-2017, 04:43 AM
Hi, i had 360 mile round trip yesterday visiting a Red kite site in Wales ,i only had 30 mins before the sun dipped and in that time i had to capture a bird coming in the right direction and low enough to allow me to attempt for the shot i was looking for ,i just took a gamble and concentrated on the one bird ,anyway i was pretty happy with my outcome ,so it was a visit to the gift shop and then back home ....
Canon 1d mkiv 500mm f4 at 5.6 iso 800 1/2500 sec +1 and 2/3 EV all pp done in LR and PS

Stuart Philpott
01-03-2017, 07:55 AM
Lovely Den,red kites seem to be a subject I want to shoot in sunlight,but that can bring problems with contrast/blown hilights on the head etc.I think this one is just about perfect with the sun being so low the colour is just wonderful Den I like the framing too nice work buddy

Stu

Mike Hitchen
01-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Excellent shot, Dennis for the pose alone and the lighting gives great detail without blowing anything out.

Arthur Morris
01-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Sharp with gorgeous light and a lovely top shot (dorsal view) pose. I was there twice about 20 years ago. Both times it was so foggy that I could not see my hand in front of my proverbial face :(

a

Gerhard Weldhagen
01-04-2017, 06:38 AM
We don`t often see the dorsal aspect of raptors but this one shows it off beautifully. I would suggest adding a tiny bit of canvas to the bottom to lift the composition even more.